Satirical Souls-like 'The Last Hero Of Nostalgaia' to launch next month

nostragaia.jpg

There's been a steady stream of Souls-like games lately with titles such as Thymesia, Steelrising and, of course, Elden Ring; so why not add a satirical take on the genre altogether? That's what The Last Hero of Nostalgaia from Coatsink and Over The Moon presents itself as. It bears the complex systems and dark aesthetics of its Souls-like inspirations, but also features a cynical narrator and is literally set in the the world of video games, the titular Nostalgaia, which is collapsing into pixelation. Gameplay-wise, this narrative-driven title features tough but fair combat and an online co-op mode.

Nostalgaia is the world of videogames, and it's collapsing backwards into a mysterious pixelation. Everything is fading away to nothing: even the memories of our proud, cherished video games are being lost. Now, with our fidelity all but gone, at the very brink of extinction, hope emerges to fight back.

As the most hideous pixelated hero to ever spawn in Nostalgaia, you must fight through an army of mindless inhabitants populating the degenerating world, all while absorbing the insults and putdowns of a narrator who despises your very existence.

The Last Hero of Nostalgaia is very much a love-letter to the Souls series, but it’s still very much a game that I’ve tried to take in its own direction,” said Over the Moon CEO Jon Warner. “When it releases on Xbox and PC on October 19th, players are going to discover a game layered with interesting narrative elements and that plays with the balance between humour and darkness.”

The Last Hero of Nostalgaia will launch on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC this October 19th.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure.

Satire can be the death knell of an overplayed concept (don't know if we are quite there for souls like at this point, though I am sure a case could be made) or it can be a homage to all that makes it, though more often than not it fails hideously at being either (though most of that is by being by people that don't get it which I did not get from this).

As a trailer that failed to do much to intrigue me though.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After watching the release date teaser video in this article, I was pretty underwhelmed. Watched the gameplay trailer and instantly changed my mind. I will absolutely be playing this.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gameplay trailer did more than the original but I am still far from all in. That said clearly made by people that like games rather than some design by committee nonsense that most satirical/parody things go in for, even if some things might be accused of meme necromancy (though nostalgia being in the name probably acts as a bit of a shield).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You were my trimmer