CharAznable

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, Sangokushi Taisen Ten just came out. I'd never heard of the series before, but now that I've played it I'm absolutely in love with it. For those who don't know, it's based on a Japanese RTS/card battle arcade game. You build a deck (usually consisting of four or so cards), and then battle with either the CPU or another player (through either local wireless or Wi-Fi). You have full control of your armies via the touchscreen, and there are a ton of cards, all based on characters from Romance of the Three Kingdoms (you know, the same story that Dynasty Warriors is based on).

Here's a video of the arcade version so you can see it in action:

Now, this game is pretty playable with no Japanese knowledge. However, there are loads of different card abilities and strategies that really make up the depth of this game, and if those were to be translated, the game would be MUCH friendlier to non-Japanese speaking players. It would be a pretty large undertaking to translate this game, but in my opinion it would be very much worthwhile. This is one of those great games that is unknown in the west, and a translation would help to garner it more attention.

Also, there are several FAQs on the series that explain the cards and their abilities, so that would help the translation effort immensely. Now, I am not very experienced with romhacking and translating at all, but I could help with certain parts of the translation, and I'm really hoping I can pull together enough people interested in this game that we could get this project done. So if anyone out there that is experienced with romhacking and/or translating is interested in this project, please let me know in this thread. Here's hoping that this project can take off!

CharAznable

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, you know, if anyone could just dump the script and clean it up a bit for me, I could get to doing some preliminary work on the translation while I wait for more people who would be interested in helping with the project.

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I unpacked the rom file. The data is stored in "nfp" files. It's pretty easy to tell which information is where ("cardname_l.NFP"...), but I have no clue what to do with the NFP files. I've never seem anything like them before. I'm guessing it is some format created by ALPHA-UNIT.

"Copyright 1997-2007 ALPHA-UNIT 0.18" (This is at the beginning of the files.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to rom hacking, so this may be pretty simple to overcome.

gerf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
aznanimefreak1 said:
This is actually a ds game? the graphics look pretty good.
This footage is from the arcade version of the game so i would expect the graphics to be a bit lower quality

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Noitora said:
Alpha Unit is a Japanese Game company that's the only thing I know.

If that's the case, then someone will have to reverse engineer whatever encryption they have on these files before we can move on. D=

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
Mac2492 said:
Noitora said:
Alpha Unit is a Japanese Game company that's the only thing I know.

If that's the case, then someone will have to reverse engineer this custom format if we want to get anywhere. D=
Nop, I don't think so almost every game has its own file formats.You can start a translation if you are a little bit experienced with rom hacking.

AppleJuice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

This game is fantastic and there isn't an english language game like it.

Fun, action-packed, card-based RTS.
Loads of Three Kingdoms characters.
Lots of stuff to unlock to keep you entertained.
Local or WiFi battles with your friends.

This style of game is so much more exciting than most RTSs.
No building and no resource management; just small scale, fast-paced battles with UNLOCKABLES.

I cba playing games where after a few months I don't have an unfair advantage over people who bought it yesterday.
tongue.gif

It seems like the arcade versions are REALLY competitive.

A translation of this (even just a translation of the cards) would be AMAZING.

EDIT: Also, made by SEGA!

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SeraphisCain said:
So, Sangokushi Taisen Ten just came out. I'd never heard of the series before, but now that I've played it I'm absolutely in love with it.
Sangokushi is Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
I would love to see this and Sangokushi DS 2(the non arcade one) but the latter is probably way more unlikely.

AppleJuice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pimpmynintendo said:
I would love to see this and Sangokushi DS 2(the non arcade one) but the latter is probably way more unlikely.
Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms series (e.g. San Goku Shi DS 2) has nothing to do with Sega's San Goku Shi Taisen series.

The only thing they have in common is that they are both based on the same novel.

??? (San Goku Shi) means "Three Kingdoms" (The name of the novel) in Chinese.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AppleJuice said:
Pimpmynintendo said:
Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms series (e.g. San Goku Shi DS 2) has nothing to do with Sega's San Goku Shi Taisen series.

The only thing they have in common is that they are both based on the same novel.

??? (San Goku Shi) means "Three Kingdoms" (The name of the novel) in Chinese.
The book is called "Romance of the Three" Kingdoms and was based on Myths from the period which was called The Three Kingdoms era.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms

AppleJuice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pimpmynintendo said:
Too bad the book is called "Romance of the Three" Kingdoms and was based on Myths from the period which was called The Three Kingdoms era.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms
Feels good when you correct somebody who tried to correct you.
I'm not interested in having a childish argument in this thread.

Moss Roberts, the man who wrote the only English translation of the novel which is currently in print calls it 'The Three Kingdoms'. That's the translation I have read, so that's what I call it. If you think you know better, you are welcome to call it what you like.

I was merely pointing out that the Koei game you mentioned was unrelated to the San Goku Shi Taisen series, incase you were confused. If you knew that already then there was no need to take offence.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
why are we basing an argument over a wiki page when were supposed to lobby for this game to get a translation? im sure you can take pointless wiki arguments elsewhere.

off the record though, if you base an argument over a wiki page, you fail too...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: