Sandisk Uses Nine-Chip Stack in Latest microSD Card

striderx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever wondered how they cram so much memory into such a small package as a microSD card?

When you read about microchip memory capacity the units you see used in industry reports are most bits not bytes. To get bytes you need to divide that number by 8 -- 8bits/byte. I work in the industry and have often wondered how they get 16GB (gigabytes) of memory into a tiny microSDHC card. Click on the link below to find out how and see some cool pictures.

Sandisk Uses Nine-Chip Stack in Latest microSD Card

Holy schmenkies Batman! NINE chips stacked on one another! And wiredbonded together to boot. I'm humbled at what they're doing. OMFG!

When the author mentions that each chip has been thinned to less than 30µm (microns or millionth of a meter). It would take a stack of over 30 of those chips to make it one millimeter thick! Those chips are made on wafers 300mm in diameter (12 inches or roughly the size of an LP record or LaserDisc) that was orginally 725µm thick. It's then thinned using one of a number of techniques including grinding and plasma processing...

Impressive!

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Micro technology is amazing. I always wondered how they made something as small as your finger nail have the ability to store files as well.

bRKcRE

Trophies
XP
Country
Kamui said:
Pretty amazing..

Compare those with the HUGE hdd from 1990s...

im sure u mean "physically huge"
tongue.gif

i guess the cost per MB has gone down considerably too since way back when:
15mb-hard-drive1.jpg

Daemon.nds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we all get a hard drive like that, then we would each be able to store over 50 images, or a whole song even.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Day By Day said:
If we all get a hard drive like that, then we would each be able to store over 50 images, or a whole song even.

lol You wouldn't have been able to store any songs on it, there was no MP3's back then. The song would have to have been stored as a very large uncompressed sample!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality