Sandisk 8GB

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Kellicros, May 15, 2008.

May 15, 2008

Sandisk 8GB by Kellicros at 8:35 AM (3,605 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. Kellicros
    OP

Member Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

I am thinking to get some extra space for my AK2, currently using Apacer Class6 4GB, and the performance is good, but I have been reading about problems with Sandisk 8GB Class4 cards on AK2, wonder if it is worth the switch. Also, anyone knows if a Class 6 8GB exist?

2. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Most of the Sandisk 8gb cards that ive heard of are class 4 which shouldn't cause any troubles, but since you got a class 6 card you could use that for games that need that extra speed.

3. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
    i currently believe there is no class 6 8gb microsdhc

4. OldPoem

Newcomer OldPoem Member

Thailand
    I've both and can confirm that for now some problems will arise when use Sandisk 8GB such as freezing in TWEWY.

5. joshwaan2k

Member joshwaan2k GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'm thinking of purchasing a bigger card also so what a good fast 4GB or 8GB chip?

I just don't want any slowdown at all if it can get helped.

6. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
  7. Kellicros
    OP

Member Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

Hmmm, I guess I will wait until the AK team solve the problems with Sandisk cards, or a Class 6 8G to surface...

8. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Are you trimming the rom? I had a freezing issue with the end of the game until I used a clean 128MB.

9. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Also I like to note that SDHC cards tend to draw more power than MicroSD cards. lso te higher the capacity, the more of a power drain. On average, a SDHC card tends to cut playing time by 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the quality of the card and so on.

10. layzieyez

Member layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Of the two I ordered from newegg, one was DOA and the other decided to stop working a few days later. Good luck to anyone else who orders these. Maybe it's a bad batch, but I'm never touching A-Data again. I'll hedge my bets with Transcend.

11. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I've never used the A-Data (I have a 2GB Kingston microSD and it works pretty well with the AK2), but that A-Data is the one that everyone recommends, so I'm a little surprised you've had so much trouble with them.

-Bri

12. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That's just some bad luck there. The A-DATA cards are considered the best right now for price/performance. I have one, but the rest of my microSDs are Kingston 2GB Japan (with a couple Taiwans).

If you want reliability and service, go with Kingston. If you want speed and performance, go with A-DATA (and hope it breaks within 30 days or so...then you can use NewEgg or whoever you bought it from for support. I've heard that A-DATA is pretty bad when you have to deal with them directly).

13. layzieyez

United States
    See, I thought all those one egg comments on newegg were either from people who didn't know their stuff was incompatible with SDHC or just computer illiterate people. I do IT for a living for the military. I trouble-shoot over half a million dollars worth of computer gear successfully on a regular basis. I figured that there was no way so many people could have bad luck. Well, bad luck or not, I'm just saying. I hope you like gambling. Luckily, it only cost me roughly $7 for my experiment with A-Data since I was able to return it for a few $ since I live in California. The only other time I've had a card corrupt on me was a Kington Japan 2GB that I tried to put too many roms onto without keeping space for a .sav file to be generated. I was able to send that one to Kingston directly because of their limited lifetime guarantee.

14. SchuchWun

Member SchuchWun GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I have had nothing but problems with my sandisk and none with my kingston. sounds like the post above me did but were quickly resolved. I say stick to kingston so you know if there is any problems your covered.

15. sushispoon

Newcomer sushispoon Newbie

United States
    My problem is that most retailers don't mention the class anywhere on the order page! is there another way to tell?

16. Norman3000

Member Norman3000 GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    What? there are 8gb microsds? i thought the maximum capacity of these micros are only up to 4gb?

17. layzieyez

United States
    I use the 8GB microSDHC with my EDGE and there are absolutely no slowdowns in problem games or any game for that matter.

18. sushispoon

Newcomer sushispoon Newbie

United States
    I kind of doubt this, has anyone run an actual test? I searched for SDHC Class/Size battery drain and didn't find anything conclusive. This could be a myth.

19. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    It has been tested on a Cyclo DS and the info can be found at the Team Cyclops forum and was also posted here in the recent months.

20. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

the 8 gb where can i buy one for a good cheap price