San Francisco creates PC terms to protect criminals from "hate speech".

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by morvoran, Aug 23, 2019.

1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    That is a matter of time and realisation. Squatter's rights or adverse possession might well come into play there.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/squatters-rights-law-california-45887.html

If you can stay there and making property tax payments for 5 years you might well become the new owner.

2. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    i think it's more to do with discrimination of felons in the workforce tbh like it or not ex cons need to work and eat too snd what they say about "this will not count against you in employment opportunities is complete bullshit just to cover theirs asses in a lawsuit it's like you can fire a guy because he's black or asian as long as that isn't the "real" (as on the termination report) reason for firing them

3. MarcusCarter

MarcusCarter Furret Freek

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Johto Pokemon Fan Club
    I'm Caucasian, and your words offend me. /s

4. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    I dont get it, who are these "guidelines" for, the local courts?

brickmii82 and yuyuyup like this.
  5. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    San Fransisco is a fucking joke of a city. San Andreas fault needs to erupt already

Immortallix likes this.
  6. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I defffffinitely did not get to page two.....still better than Tronald Dump.
    Moving right along,
    Yes, people (in the U.S.) are pretty dumb.
    Dove & Pigeon VS. Ex-con & formerly incarcerated person.

The real deal will affect
    Optional comedy
    Chuckle up.

----
    Probably prospective employers.

7. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    Now this comes to context:

[​IMG]

gamesquest1, DCG and Snugglevixen like this.
  8. Dungeonseeker

Dungeonseeker GBAtemp Fan

Mar 28, 2016
    The world is going to shit...

Last week a very prominent sports presenter here in England said, and I quote...

The joke being Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy are bald. Now Alan and Danny found this to be very funny and laughed their asses off, unfortunately the viewers didn't. The SJW brigade attacked him on Twitter for being prejudice towards bald people.

It was a fucking joke morons. And FTR that was me being prejudice towards them.

Idiocracy is slowly changing from a comedy to a documentary.

Immortallix and MicmasH_W like this.
  9. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    Why not just pregnant woman if it's a woman and pregnant man if it's a man? No need to degender people when context exists.
    It's ironic they want to degender people for the sake of including trans people, when trans people are the ones who care the most about gender acknowledgement.

Immortallix likes this.
  10. morvoran
    OP

morvoran Trump supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    United States
    Drinking leftist tears...Yummy!
    I am on your side of this matter and agree we need to stick to the two gender societal norms, but to the left, it is discriminating to use "gendered" language of any kind as it's unfair/unkind to the 60+ genders they believe there are. We aren't allowed to say "mankind", it's "personkind". No longer call policemen, firemen, or congressmen by those hateful names, it's policeperson, fireperson, and congressperson.

This way of thinking is starting to spread to other factions of society which is why San Francisco is changing more terms.

Immortallix and MicmasH_W like this.
  11. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    humankind, actually. police-officer, firefighter, and congress...congressman/congresswoman. Don't think they've offered a better terminology than that. I'm cool with congressperson though.

I mean, if you have issues with things, that's fine. But at least get the details right or you're just arguing with yourself.

Last edited by osaka35, Aug 24, 2019
    Lucifer666 likes this.
  12. samhhhhh

samhhhhh GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    non binary people who are assigned female at birth can, which is what its meaning.

13. DCG

DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Schiedam
    Honk-Honk.
    Welcome in clown world :)
    Seriously, I think the west is dying...

14. morvoran
    OP

morvoran Trump supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    United States
    *Sigh* Sorry, I forgot to add that I was poking fun at silly leftists and how they say silly things. Forgot that I have to explain myself for people that don't recognize humor.

For your reference:
    Justin Trudeau tells woman to say 'peoplekind' not 'mankind'

Can't get further to the left than that person.

Last edited by morvoran, Aug 27, 2019
  15. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    ....did you read the article? You should read the article.

the "silly" part of the left is hardly the whole. Same as the right has the bonkers fundamentalist, the left also has some bonkers folk. The similarity between the two extremes is in their lack of understanding of how the world works to a painful degree.

The trick is to not confuse the fringe for the mainstream. Also to be able to separate an idea, method, or goal from a particular "team". This ain't competitive sports, this is cooperative play. Also best not to confuse politians with actual ideologies.

This topic has a very limited, very specific goal. Help ex-convict become productive members of society by helping remove an unnecessary stigma. Will it work? who knows. But I don't think it's a bad goal to try for.

Lucifer666 likes this.
  16. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    That's Sapir-Whorf hypothesis stuff. I think a linguist like Steven Pinker can give good insight in this. You can look to racist language and people trying to control it to see if it works. The n word was banned and stigmatized. A new word came in. But people ended up using that new word in a negative context and it became stigmatized too. Its a never ending process. Then a new word, people of color, came in to replace that new word. The only reason people of color is not banned and considered offensive 20 yrs after is because a change of culture and not a change of language as Steven Pinker says. Its culture you need to change not language if you want to see progress, if not then new words that come in will be the new word to be used in a negative context and become the new offensive word in a never ending loop.

morvoran likes this.
  17. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    This is literally nothing, it was non-binding to begin with, and it's not implemented and never will be. According to THE SAN FRANSISCO CHRONICLE:

The nonbinding resolution passed last month.

The mayor didn’t sign off on the new language proposal.

Mayor London Breed “doesn’t implement policies based on nonbinding resolutions, but she is always happy to work with the board on issues around equity and criminal justice reform,” said her spokesman, Jeff Cretan."

18. morvoran
    OP

morvoran Trump supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    United States
    Yes, I read it. Seemed to describe the situation without taking sides, but I did forgot whom the audience was. I only sourced it to show that I wasn't just making my own "new words" as it seemed you were thinking, but rather, a far left leaning person, who I would think is well known, making his own words up and "forcing" them on someone.

Will it work? No. It is a bad goal and all wrong when you try to change what words should be used and force others to use them.
    These terms may not be forced upon us now, but it sets a bad precedent for the future if society ever gets that low. Thank God that the US has freedom of speech.
    I hate to think of a day when if a loved one is murdered, during my interview with a cop, I state that the perp was a "murderer", and I get arrested or fined for my "hate speech". You think this is non-sense, look at what happens in the UK when "misgendering" a transgender person.

Hopefully, every thing you said will stay true. The fact that it made it to the Mayor to be signed off on in the first place shows how low society in places like California is falling. When people want to force their own "language" on others and the government agrees, we will have lost our great country. That, truly, frightens me.

19. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Well it's too bad that articles like this become proliferated without mentioning that part, the part that in the liberal town of SAN FRANSISCO, the mayor refuses to implement it. The resolution was never intended to actually be implemented, the people who passed it aren't that stupid. It was passed as a call for treating ex-cons like human beings, so they can GET A JOB, instead of SUCKING ON THE GOVERNMENT TIT for the rest of their lives. But gee, that's just my 2 cents

20. morvoran
    OP

morvoran Trump supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    United States
    . When their idea of fixing a problem is to cover it up with new words instead of going after the root of the issue, yeah, that can be classified as "stupid". Eventually, and quite possibly, these new terms could be stigmatized and hurt more people than they help.

I 100% agree that if you do your time, you should be allowed to re-enter society. Trying to add criminals into a system of protected groups is where I disagree. Next, people will try to do away with the sex offender registry because it harms a pedophile's ability to become a daycare worker or nanny.

I don't have the "right" answer here, but I can say that this idea is stupid.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted