Samsung warn 3D-TV could cause adverse health risks

Has this article put you off going 3-D?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• No (3-D is a fad/I didn't plan on making the upgrade before reading the article)

• Total voters

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
QUOTE said:
Daily Mail
By Sean Poulter

3D-TV health warning: Tuning in can cause confusion, nausea and even fits, says electronics giant

The world’s biggest electronics company has issued an extraordinary health warning about the dangers of watching 3D television.

Pregnant women, the elderly, children and those suffering from serious medical conditions are among a wide range of people said to be at risk.

The alert extends to those who have been sleep deprived or drinking. It highlights alarming side effects such as confusion, nausea, convulsions, altered vision, light-headedness, dizziness, and involuntary movements such as eye or muscle twitching and cramps.

Samsung says there are also concerns that those with epilepsy could be at risk of fits - as they are from strobe lighting and photographers’ flashes on normal television.

Watching 3D on TV, which involves wearing special glasses like those used for 3D movies, bombards the eyes and brain with a succession of flashing images that appear for a fraction of a second.

It is a new way of seeing things and so puts unusual strain on the body.

The warning has been posted on a Samsung website and appears designed to protect the manufacturer from any legal claims for compensation if people fall ill.

Samsung’s 3D sets are going into stores in the next few days with a starting price around £1,300, while Sony’s TVs will go on sale in June.

Other manufacturers say they have studied the health effects of 3D viewing and have decided it is safe to go ahead.

Sky is currently promoting its 3D coverage of premier league football in pubs. The technology is being driven by a raft of 3D blockbuster films such as Avatar and Alice in Wonderland.

Samsung, based in South Korea, has been the biggest-selling technology brand in the world since 2005.

One part of the warning reads: ‘Viewing in 3D may cause disorientation for some viewers. Accordingly, DO NOT place your TV television near open stairwells, cables, balconies, or other objects that can be tripped over, run into, knocked down, broken or fallen over.’

Another part says: ‘Viewing 3D television may also cause motion sickness, perceptual after effects, disorientation, eye strain and decreased postural stability.’

And it advises those with epilepsy, or a family history of epilepsy and strokes, to take medical advice before watching.

However, the spokesman said the company is reviewing the language used in the warning on the basis it may cause ‘unintended alarm’.

Full Article

Source: Wiseupjournal (sourced from Daily Mail).

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
dice said:
One part of the warning reads: ‘Viewing in 3D may cause disorientation for some viewers. Accordingly, DO NOT place your TV television near open stairwells, cables, balconies, or other objects that can be tripped over, run into, knocked down, broken or fallen over.’
Yeah, I was just thinking about placing my brand new 3D-TV on the top of the stairs or on my balcony, but now that I've read this, I have more sense on where to place T.V's more appropriately.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
dice said:
So what about something that can be easily headbutted?

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is just to keep the idiots from suing. They aren't that serious, but covering their asses just in case because those are the same side effects from watching standard and HD TV.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is usually why. A bit like the allergy information on things that contain absolutely no nuts. Apparently they can't be guaranteed nut-free (although that's probably because of the company...there's obviously some nuts in there).

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can't remember where I heard this, but each week the Mail actually just flicks through a dictionary to find a word, and flips a coin. Heads, it is bad for you, tails it's good. EG.
Word: Pineapple
Coin: Heads
Headline: PINEAPPLES CAUSE CANCER!

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are some serious psychological issues too look at here.

It has to do with the way the brain stores information. A 2d image will be perceived in much less detail by the brain and stored more as data where as a 3D image will be stored more like an everyday experience. This embeds a 3D image far deeper and with much greater clarity than that of a 2D.

The worry is, there have already been reports of people with mental health issues being pushed to violence and irrational behaviour from 2D video games and movies. Can you imagine what an immersive 3D experience would do to these people and many others who may be close to the tipping point of psychosis?

I think 3D would be great in education where you would want the heightened information and memory retention. It's not so good for things like horror movies where the experience can be embedded with far greater clarity than we may have bargained for. Can you imagine accidentally giving yourself post traumatic stress syndrome from watching too many horror movies? Might sound funny but this could be quite debilitating, just ask any Gulf War or Afghanistan vet'.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well this glasses 3d looks like a stopgap until they can get the real 3d out (a bit like "HD" is probably also a stopgap until they can bring out real high resolution).
Especially if "which involves wearing special glasses like those used for 3D movies, bombards the eyes and brain with a succession of flashing images that appear for a fraction of a second" is true- who would use shutters for general purpose 3d (on new kit) when you have perfectly good polarised kit, I would probably sooner go back to anaglyph than that.

@ProtoKun7 I thought everyone knew pregnant women were more valuable than everyone else.

Re: allergy warnings, the scene was FAST6191's kitchen about 3 minutes ago:
eggs.JPG

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
actually even wearing regular spectacles which esp are quite high in number (-6 or more) or a bad angle causes these problems and hence the optician always makes sure u can handle it and besides, u have to get used to it to avoid the side effects and hence 3D would be so

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: im going off now...I'll turn off my brain