Samsung Galaxy S II For AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by harg, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2011
  1. harg
    OP

Member harg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The Samsung Galaxy S II has already been released in Korea And Europe and everyone Samsung Fan in the USA has been patiently waiting for this phone,And now they know they're wait will soon be over! The release you ask? THIS FALL! It will be released on all the popular US cell carriers except Verizon and Cricket. The phone is a bit different on all carriers but is still run by the powerful Android interface and can be showed off as the Samsung Galaxy S II. Here are the photos of the phone on different carriers.
    [​IMG]
    Just manufactured a bit different.

2. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    4 touch buttons...

Mine only has two, and I prefer it that way. [​IMG]

3. Sir Spanky

Member Sir Spanky GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Very odd the shapes are that noticeable...

4. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    This is something that still amazes me. First thought was "Oh this is so old!", but then I realized that the S II hasn't been released in the US. My brother has had one for quite a while now so I find this quite odd in a way. "Oh them Yankees always gets things first me thinks yes?" Apparently Europe gets something at least first [​IMG]

-Qtis

5. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    The Americans have been getting the later treatment recently when it comes to smartphones. Even Canada, which usually gets electronic items to hit locally when they've already reached the U.S. a quarter of a year ago, has been getting devices much earlier. We've got the Samsung Galaxy S II and HTC Sensation since around May or June, available through Bell Mobility.

Either or, I'm still holding off a Galaxy S II right now. Waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE to hit Rogers Wireless here in Canada. Can't wait. [​IMG]

6. harg
    OP

United States
    In most made in china smartphones Asian and European places get them first since china distributes to the places closer to them first.

7. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    Is there something that makes this phone stand out from your usual? I'm looking to upgrade this Fall also and if it's worth it then I'll definitely go for it.

8. harg
    OP

United States
  9. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Looks very different...
    The standard here is a physical Home button and capacitive Menu and Back buttons, without a dedicated Search button, but although it might be a TouchWiz customisation, I'm quite pleased with the fact that I can emulate the Search button by holding down Menu. [​IMG]

10. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Finally for US people I guess....SII released here like 2-3 weeks ago. Or even more, didn't keep a track of its release. Not bothered. But still [​IMG]

11. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    No Verizon?

I guess I won't be able to get this one, which is a shame, because I am going to have to upgrade my phone pretty soon. Oh well...

12. harg
    OP

United States
    Well on Verizon you can get the iPhone 5 in Fall also

13. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Not a big Apple guy, so that's going to be a no.

14. Gnargle

Member Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

United Kingdom
    It's rumoured Verizon is going to get the Samsung Nexus Prime.

15. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. China isn't in charge of distribution. They're only responsible for manufacturing. It is the respective company's choice to choose which locations to release them first. Most phones are manufactured to respond to the frequencies used prominently around the world: GSM for 2G connection, UMTS for 3G. Most East Asian and European nations use the standard frequencies of UMTS 900Mhz and 2100Mhz. Manufacturers realize this, which is why they tend to put out devices in these regions first, as they cover a broader range of audiences from a single production.

North American companies utilizing GSM and UMTS (Canada's Bell, Rogers, and Telus; USA's AT&T) use a different frequency, running on 850Mhz and 1900Mhz. Manufacturers have to create alternate versions of their devices to allow them to respond to the 3G networks in this region, which is why they usually get released later. An example is Sony Ericsson's Xperia Arc, having both an International version (Lt15i) and North American version (Lt15a). Some devices have tri-band or quad-band features, allowing a simultaneous release worldwide (like the iPhone, or Galaxy S II) due to them having all or most of the four major frequencies.

The problem with the U.S. is that besides AT&T running on the standard frequencies, you have T-Mobile running an awkward 1700Mhz UMTS network, and the rest on CDMA. This means devices have to optimized for the U.S. market before entry, resulting in a delayed release, unless they were pre-arranged with the manufacturers themselves. Notice how Verizon seems to carry a bunch of devices that the rest of the world doesn't have? It's because they're CDMA devices that were made for their use exclusively, and won't work in most regions out of the U.S.

The problem is with the U.S. and the unusual frequencies they run, not with China "distributing to closer regions".

16. harg
    OP

United States
    Not a big Apple guy, so that's going to be a no.
    [/quote]
    It's rumoured Verizon is going to get the Samsung Nexus Prime.
    [/quote]
    Yeah but that's just not as good. [​IMG] Pretend thats a Nexus Prime.

17. harg
    OP

United States
    Well samsung is a korean company,So obviously closer places get it first. [​IMG]

18. Gnargle

Member Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

United Kingdom
    Erm, what? The Nexus S was the best Galaxy S, so it follows that the Prime is likely to be the best SGS2.

19. harg
    OP

United States
    Wait... I don't get it...

20. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I knew I should've waited till I upgraded my phone.

Oh well I'm satisfied with my Atrix 4G. Hope it gets rooted soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.