1. newgen2005

OP newgen2005 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

I am looking at buying one of these cards for my Switch running Atmosphere. There is £10 difference between the 2, SanDisk being the more expensive.

Which one would you guys recommend? Once formatted how many GB will I actually get?

2. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng a.k.a, Your Maitreya

Sri Lanka
    Samsung Evo Plus is the best compared to SanDisk Ultra, and SanDisk Ultra is actually cheaper than Samsung Evo Plus, not sure where you're buying these, but it is so in aliexpress for example.
    Just make sure Samsung Evo Plus is the U3 variant, not U1.
    Any faster/expensive though, and SanDisk Extreme is the best (Pro is overkill but if you have the money... haha).

newgen2005 likes this.
  3. newgen2005

OP newgen2005 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

4. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng a.k.a, Your Maitreya

Sri Lanka
    Good. As for that, it's going to be very close to 512, it will just show a slightly smaller figure, but around that is what you'll get. I have read on the internet that the rounding down is a thing OS's like Windows and such do, the actual capacity or very close to that is still utilized. In any case, expect to have at the very least, 510GB of usable space, though I may not be on the dot, it should ease the mind there.

5. _DrBecks_

_DrBecks_ Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Buy the cheaper one, it doesn‘t Really matter. And … if Samsung is the cheaper one you also get the better card. Samsung evo better than SanDisk Ultra. SanDisk Extreme of Extreme Pro better than Samsung Evo. But the Switch won‘t profit of a „faster“ card. If i were you i would buy the SanDisk 400 Ultra, its the cheapest one — in Germany 55€ (47£)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

France
    I got my 400GB for 70€ on Amazon...

7. _DrBecks_

_DrBecks_ Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Today is a Discount on Amazon DE, 55€

8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
  9. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    Assuming a straight GB->GiB conversion — i.e. the card's capacity is 512 000 000 000 bytes — it should be 476.84 GiB (Windows displays GiB as GB)

10. Esdeath

Esdeath Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    They measure the storage with 1000bytes=1kbyte, 1000kb=1mb etc. instead of 1024. So you will have 476,837gb usable space with a 512gb card, you can roughly use 0.93*cardsize.

I use SanDisk and haven't had any problems in 2 years, just my personal preference though.

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Easily the Evo Plus. It's not only cheaper, it's also way faster. That thing has write speeds of 90MB/s! Those speeds cost you a premium with SanDisk, and make putting files on it so much faster.

12. dnetbandit

dnetbandit Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Good morning,

I have actually owned both, and honestly i would go with the sandisk.. I have had several people tell me and experienced it myself with the Samsung giving me problems on my switch..

and to answer your question about actual memory space, you will get around 475GB for a 512GB card.. don't know where the person got 500GB, that has never been the case on it being that close.. the higher the memory card gets, the less it will show most of the times..

Like i stated earlier, i have had them both and samsung just gave me issues in the long run.. Both good cards, but the switch in my case has had no issues with the sandisk.. just make sure it is the actual brand.. if you look at the reviews, sometime you read you are being sent forgeries.

D.

13. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

United Kingdom
    Samsung.

14. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Don't sleep on Gigastone

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Samsung, SanDisk, Ultra