Ohex4455

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey Fellas,

I'm currently running an Samsung Evo+ 128gb in my Switch but I got a SanDisk Ultra 256gb very cheaply.
The question is, if there is any noticable loss of performance when switching to the SanDisk card.

Both cards seem to be labeled "up to 100MB/s", but the Samsung is U3 while the SanDisk is U1, but the SanDisk has an additional A1 "rating".

I'm quite sure that the difference is probably negligible but maybe somebody can shine some light on it?

Edit:
Apparently the Samsung was measured at 91,46 MB/s Read and 80,77 MB/s Write, I can't seem to find results for the SanDisk

Last edited by Ohex4455,

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A1 is just U1 re-label for smart device app performance level rank....

switch sd slot does not fully utilize U3... so sandisk U1 should be just fine.
well, if u play nsp backup... U3 does benefit u, cuz the file transfer speed.

label speed sometimes are reading or even in megabit(real nasty)

Last edited by Sonansune,
Reactions: Ohex4455

Ohex4455

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A1 is just U1 re-label for smart device app performance level rank....

switch sd slot does not fully utilize U3... so sandisk U1 should be just fine.
well, if u play nsp backup... U3 does benefit u, cuz the file transfer speed.

label speed sometimes are reading or even in megabit(real nasty)
Do you think there are differences between nsp and eshop? Since most my games are eshop games

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Switch games definitly :D See avatar and signature.
if u go 100% legit, u wont even need to deal with nsp files. at least directly interact with it.
eshop downloaded games are the same as installed nsp backup, but legit and wont lead to a ban. (not exactly same, there are tik and cert issues for backup)

Ohex4455

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if u go 100% legit, u wont even need to deal with nsp files. at least directly interact with it.
eshop downloaded games are the same as installed nsp backup, but legit and wont lead to a ban.
I was talking about performance differences, can't imagine how an nsp can benefit of a faster card while an eshop game would not

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was talking about performance differences, can't imagine how an nsp can benefit of a faster card while an eshop game would not
cuz u transfer the nsp file to sd card.... this took awhile to complete....
legitmate eshop download doesnt have this process.

"well, if u play nsp backup... U3 does benefit u, cuz the file transfer speed."
but that's it. nothing more than faster copy&paste speed.

Ohex4455

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
cuz u transfer the nsp file to sd card.... this took awhile to complete....
legitmate eshop download doesnt have this process.

"well, if u play nsp backup... U3 does benefit u, cuz the file transfer speed."
but that's it. nothing more than faster copy&paste speed.
Oh! That transfer, I was having SD <-> RAM in mind, my bad. Thanks

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i just checked on amazon.
sandisk U1 label speed is maximum reading speed up to XXX Megabytes/s
seems like they dont have much differences in reading, but is it really the case?:unsure:

How Fast Does My MicroSD Card Need to Be?
Short answer: At least UHS-I.

Long answer: Nintendo recommends read speeds between 60 MB/s and 95 MB/s, which fall within the UHS-I standard. A microSD card within that range will give you good performance.

There are three main classes of microSD cards: Speed Class, UHS (Ultra High Speed) Class, and Video Speed Class, but the main ones that we will be focusing on are Speed Class and UHS Class. Identifying what class and speed a microSD card has is easy. For Speed Class cards, look for a C with a number in it; that is the minimum write speed (so C6 would be 6 MB/s). For UHS Class cards, look for a U with a number in it; that number times ten is the minimum write speed (so U1 would be 10 MB/s). This handy chart has all that information as well as examples of what the indicators look like. Note that this speed is only the minimum speed that the card offers; often cards with UHS-I certification are rated around 80 MB/s, like this Samsung EVO Select.

It's important to note that there are diminishing returns with higher-speed cards; according to this article, a microSD card with 80 MB/s only loaded about one second faster than a card with 90 MB/s. This was tested with Breath of the Wild, but these results will likely carry over to other games as well.

One last thing to note is that certain games like L.A. Noire require a microSD card of at least 60 MB/s. There are few games that have a hard requirement for microSD card speeds, but as always, please do your research.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/wiki/microsd

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On Android when you use a mSD as internal storage most of the times you will be out of luck even with a fast one, SanDisk A1 works perfectly for that because of the A1 rating with more IOPS as android encrypts all data.

The A1 will probably not make much difference on the Switch, but later on emunand might make a bigger impact with everything being written and read from the mSD...

However I had only troubles with the Sandisk 128GB that I had (3 defective ones), ended up paying more for a god damn SUPER SLOW CRAP Toshiba mSD ;).

Ohex4455

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On Android when you use a mSD as internal storage most of the times you will be out of luck even with a fast one, SanDisk A1 works perfectly for that because of the A1 rating with more IOPS as android encrypts all data.

The A1 will probably not make much difference on the Switch, but later on emunand might make a bigger impact with everything being written and read from the mSD...

However I had only troubles with the Sandisk 128GB that I had (3 defective ones), ended up paying more for a god damn SUPER SLOW CRAP Toshiba mSD ;).
Thanks for your input. What's the warranty on SanDisk cards? I know there's a 10 year guarantee on Samsung cards. Which is pretty neat. Somehow I managed to get a write lock on my 128gb Evo+ after using the Switch for not even one year and reformating and dumping my NAND a couple times with CTCaer's payload, we both couldn't really figure it out, however Samsung replaced it within three weeks (completely new package, so I recommend everybody to use a Samsung card and if you don't need it anymore: force the write lock, send it in and sell the newly returned package on ebay lol)

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember well its 10 years too on the SanDisk Ultra and some are lifetime warranty I think the extreme is lifetime, but Switch actually loads slightly slower on the SanDisk Extreme compared to the cheaper Ultra.

Extreme is lot more expensive and the bigger advantage is really when moving files from PC will be faster as its a U3 too (in case of the Switch as other things require a U3 like for 4K with higher bitrate...).

I have a 32GB SanDisk Extreme A1 on my Nvidia Shield tablet for like 2 years and its working perfectly, while a class 10 as internal storage on it non A1 make the tablet super slow even with nothing installed just on android menus, it keep stucking.

https://www.sandisk.com/about/legal/warranty/warranty-table

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended