Hacking Samsung develops 8 GB flash card for cellphones

Tsuchy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32073/135/
Seoul (Korea) – Samsung announced that it has developed a microSD flash memory card with 8 GB of capacity.

The tiny storage device rivals the capacity of many 1” hard drives sold in the market today and offers enough space for about 2000 MP3 music files, more than 3000 5-megapixel pictures or about five DVD-quality movies.

According to the manufacturer, the card achieves a read speed of 16 MB/s and a write speed of 6 MB/s, which exceeds the requirement for the Speed Class 4 SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) standard (4 MB/s write speed). Samsung did not say when it will bring the microSD card to market, but mentioned that it expects 8 GB microSD cards to be mainstream in the 2010 timeframe.

I'm just wondering does like the MicroSDHC be able to work ?

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8Gb CF cards are around $100 and 8GB Memstick pro duo is around $150, my guess it would be somewhere in between those two as transflash typically sells for more than an equivalent CF card but less than a Sony MSPD

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32073/135/
Seoul (Korea) – Samsung announced that it has developed a microSD flash memory card with 8 GB of capacity.

The tiny storage device rivals the capacity of many 1” hard drives sold in the market today and offers enough space for about 2000 MP3 music files, more than 3000 5-megapixel pictures or about five DVD-quality movies.

According to the manufacturer, the card achieves a read speed of 16 MB/s and a write speed of 6 MB/s, which exceeds the requirement for the Speed Class 4 SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) standard (4 MB/s write speed). Samsung did not say when it will bring the microSD card to market, but mentioned that it expects 8 GB microSD cards to be mainstream in the 2010 timeframe.

I'm just wondering does like the MicroSDHC be able to work ?

nope, wont work. i'm almost positive all of the flash carts dont support SDHC

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Where does it say it will be SDHC?

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRe...0517_0000346824

QUOTEWith a read speed of 16 Megabytes (MBs) per second and a write speed of 6MB/s, Samsung’s 8GB microSD card well exceeds the Speed Class 4 SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) standard which requires a data write speed of 4MB/s. This is also much faster than the SD Speed Class 2 designation carried by most competing microSD cards currently on the market.

I don't know, but maybe that's a confirmation?
tongue.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, it wouldn't be a new format, it would probably just be incompatible with most SD and SDHC hardware.

The real question is why would they bother making an 8GB microSD card when most microSD devices are not designed to be able to use 8GB cards?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So if it's incompatible with current software, wouldn't it be a completely new format with completely new devices, and just copies the microSD size? Okay I'll stop here
happy.gif

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
No, it wouldn't be a new format, it would probably just be incompatible with most SD and SDHC hardware.

The real question is why would they bother making an 8GB microSD card when most microSD devices are not designed to be able to use 8GB cards?
Its because there will be a niche group of photographers, who will buy camera's for 8GB
much like they selling blank HD-DVD 4years ago... there is always people willing to pay big money for the best medium of the time

Hiro_x2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
is that because of the FAT file limit ( some cards do support fat32) , or is it just a general incompatability with the way the 8GB cards are designed.

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Its few things actually :
The first and most importent is software limitations,theres a need to build a firmware thats capeable of 8GB storage space. The second and not less importent is the fact that theres a minimum voltage and impendence that are needed for a memory card to work ( 512 MMC for example uses less voltage then 1 GB MMC { micro MMC fixed this issue BTW}).

Anyway The FAT file system has nothing to do with it , FAT limitation is that no singel file can be over 4 GB , theres no limitations of the overall storage space.

P.S.
Anyone knows if this is a singel flash chip or a controller and several flash chip { like all SDHC} ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.