Samsung and Toshiba NAND?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by mgrev, Oct 9, 2015.

1. mgrev
    OP

mgrev Legit Gladiator

Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    yes this is a questing thread, but i think this question is kinda special, and deserves it's own thread, if not please answer and lock/delete this thread.

I know there's two types of 3ds Nand, a toshiba nand, and a samsung nand. i know that one of them is a couple megabytes bigger than the other, but what exactly is the difference? i'm sure there is someone who knows this, and please explain deeply. Btw i personaly have a toshiba nand 10.0 eu old 3ds

2. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    I think there's no difference, unlike dumping the contents of a musical CD you're dumping the full image of the NAND (it's full size). So you're basically dumping also stuff that's empty / unused, the other NAND is probably smaller in size but it contains the same stuff.
    That being said I'm no expert and could be very wrong, please correct me if so.

Last edited by _v3, Oct 9, 2015
  3. legofan623

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah the dumping process copies unused space as well as data. That's also another reason that restoring one system's nand to another isn't possible, as they might have conflicting nand types.