Gaming Sample Vita section of a game shop in Japan

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
It's amazingly opposite here in Malaysia.

No one cares about Nintendo because the graphics "suck", Playstation is the best selling console because the games are "better", EVERYONE judges the game by its box art, and everything is overpriced so much so that it's cheaper to buy something from Singapore and have it shipped in.

This is the hierarchy. I swear to god it's legit. Being a gamer here sucks. There's no diversity.

PC Master Race > PS4 > Xbone > Vita > Sony phones > Apple stuff > Samsung phones > Chinese phone makers (Lenovo, Oppo, etc) > Nintendo products.

If you wanted a cheap console, you'd have to buy a modded one. (Yay piracy!.)

EDIT: I just reread the topic title. Yeah well there's still not much love for Vita because the games are expensive.

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oh, this thread is still going?

Well, games in general are very expensive in Japan regardless of console/handheld. With PS Plus it makes the Vita a lot more attractive. The last few months have had some decent ones I wanted to play but didn't know if I wanted to shell out the yen to get them (Ys Celceta, Gravity Daze, Uncharted, Steins Gate, Minna no Golf 6, God Eater 2 (after I had already bought it, grrrr), etc.). A lot of the ones I have played have been very good, actually. There is a regular stream of games so I'm happy but it just doesn't get much love outside Japan, it seems. (/me still playing Chaos Rings 3...man, they weren't kidding when they said this was a long RPG and stingy with it's trophies)

The shop is just a sample store. Many of the ones near me don't quite have that level of selection but there are usually a few shelves dedicated to it and the games on sale are always tempting...too bad memory card prices suck royally.

For anything price-wise I always check with Theta, GEO or even Momotaro since their used prices are hard to beat. People suggest Book Off but I've always found them the most expensive for anything semi-new (but used), though the prices do tend to level out the older it gets. I'm just a big fan of Theta and Momotaro because they break street date for new games so I don't have to line up or anything for a new title (should there be anything)

Reactions: Skelletonike

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Oh, this thread is still going?

Well, games in general are very expensive in Japan regardless of console/handheld. With PS Plus it makes the Vita a lot more attractive. The last few months have had some decent ones I wanted to play but didn't know if I wanted to shell out the yen to get them (Ys Celceta, Gravity Daze, Uncharted, Steins Gate, Minna no Golf 6, God Eater 2 (after I had already bought it, grrrr), etc.). A lot of the ones I have played have been very good, actually. There is a regular stream of games so I'm happy but it just doesn't get much love outside Japan, it seems. (/me still playing Chaos Rings 3...man, they weren't kidding when they said this was a long RPG and stingy with it's trophies)

The shop is just a sample store. Many of the ones near me don't quite have that level of selection but there are usually a few shelves dedicated to it and the games on sale are always tempting...too bad memory card prices suck royally.

For anything price-wise I always check with Theta, GEO or even Momotaro since their used prices are hard to beat. People suggest Book Off but I've always found them the most expensive for anything semi-new (but used), though the prices do tend to level out the older it gets. I'm just a big fan of Theta and Momotaro because they break street date for new games so I don't have to line up or anything for a new title (should there be anything)

I honestly always considered Japanese games cheap (at least by European standards).
I don't buy that many Japanese games granted (due to region lock in most cases), but the ones I do buy, end up costing me less than 4000¥ (I give a friend's address and she ships it to me when Amazon.co.jp won't do it themselves), but the games that I do buy quite often from Japan are mostly old, used SRW games for GBA, DS and PSX (which only cost around 400¥ a pop).

The most expensive game I've bought from Japan was an eroge actually (it was a sexy limited edition, totally worth 10000¥ x'D)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Yeah, used prices are usually reasonable, even at more expensive outlets. If you buy these things new, they tend to as high as 5000-6000 yen for some handheld titles (MH4G, for example) and home console games have been around 7000-8000 yen at time, even higher if it is a special edition or anything like that.

It's all right, I almost never but things brand new anyway. I just let others do that, they try to sell it for a ridiculous prices if it sells out right away on launch day, I laugh, the price drops like a rock, then I pick it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1