Samba De Amigo Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Nestea80, Jun 20, 2008.

Jun 20, 2008

Samba De Amigo Wii by Nestea80 at 5:14 PM (1,961 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Nestea80
    OP

Member Nestea80 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I already sold my Wii ... but I was still curious as to how Samba De Amigo is gonna work.

Like ... there's the high, medium 'n low positions of the maracas. How does the Wii detect that?

2. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    The Wii Remote has an optical sensor, which allows it to determine where the Wii Remote is pointing.

3. Nestea80
    OP

Canada
    Well ... when you're playing samba de amigo ... you're not pointing the wii remote at the screen. And the game uses the nunchuck AND wiiremote .... representing the 2 maracas (although you can opt to use two wii remotes also). So I'm wondering how the game knows when the nunchuck is low, mid, or high.

4. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that it most likely uses the three axis accelerometer for the nunchuck and the wiimote. The nunchuck has it's own accelerometer.

5. Nestea80
    OP

Canada
    Even then, the accelerometer will only detect the shaking. It can't detect the "altitude" of the controllers (correct me if i'm wrong). Like, imagine both controllers pointing upwards ... if I raise them over my head 'n shake ... or put them at chest level 'n shake, then how would it know the difference?

I'm guessing that the game will want you to point the remotes up when high ... maybe sideways when mid .. and pointing towards the ground for low. But that would ruin the game a little. Because when I play samba de amigo (in arcade or dreamcast), for high 'n mid levels my maracas are pretty much still pointing upwards in the same way.

6. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I don't know how they do it.. but apparently it works very well [​IMG]

edit: IGN had a hands-on preview.. according to them, the game is playing as good as it played with the maracas: http://wii.ign.com/articles/882/882877p1.html

7. Nestea80
    OP

Canada
    Yeah ... I'm guessing you read the ign preview thing also huh? That's how I came up with wondering how it worked. Well, I was wondering for a long while before that ... but I just thought I'd come out and ask. And yeah, they said it works extremely well except for the rare moments where the shake doesn't register .. but they are tweaking that.

EDIT: Okay, I just read your edit. LoL ... I guess I was right that you read it on ign. [​IMG]

8. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    Slightly off-topic, but the game registers two positions (high/low) very well in No More Heroes, so I would guess it will be fine in Samba

9. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Not exactly.. what is registered in No More Heroes is how the Wiimote is inclined..

Well, I know that you can measure the distance between the Wiimote and the sensor bar.. I believe you can use that to get an approximated position..
    I don't know how well that works though..

10. bellowingrapmach

Newcomer bellowingrapmach Member

United Kingdom
    Some of the more gimmicky controls in Medal of Honor Heroes 2 involved detecting the position of both the wiimote and nunchuk simultaneously.
    Like the heavy machine gun emplacement and the leaning out behind cover controls. There's a video of the controls out there somewhere.

After playing through MoHH2, I'm pretty sure the controls would work for SDA.

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    No idea as to the actual implementation but most people are only so high and will tend to hold accordingly.

IR sensors work well enough (they are just LEDs with a wide range of "vision" so directionality can be reconfirmed every so often and in between it calculations based upon accelerometer data should be more than sufficient for 3 levels in a meter and a bit.

12. twonk

Newcomer twonk Member

Its just accelerometers. They register the movement. Game probably assumes neutral middle position when you start the song and then the readings would be relative to that.

13. lou_weed

Member lou_weed GBAtemp Regular

Israel
    Judging other wii games , the game will guess the height just like NMH (incline).
    when you are in neutral position , the wiimote is almost 90 degrees with the floor , and as you lift/lower your hands , the angle changes.
    I assume it will be like this :
    130 and higher: high position
    between 60 and 120 : middle
    less than 60 : low position .

neutral :

| wiimote
    |
    ------------------floor

high
    \
    \
    ------------ floor