1. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

United States
    Final mission, eh? I wouldn't be surprised if he works a while to bring just about every character that ever appeared in Smash Bros. to this version, and adding others besides. While I'm not a fan of the series, I admire his dedication.

2. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

United States
    I guess it has been nearly three years since the Switch was released. Given how long designing something like that takes, I suppose they probably are working on the initial stages of the next one...

3. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    On the one hand nintendo consoles have a life of about 5 years, so we might expect the switch successor soonish. On the other hand, the handhelds seem to go longer. DS was around for 7 years before the 3ds, and the 3ds was around for 6 years before the switch.

So I think an estimate of 5-7 years is probably fair.

[​IMG]

Last edited by x65943, Feb 4, 2020
    JavaScribe likes this.
  4. windmill

windmill Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Sakurai, take a f*cking break for gods sake.

5. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    Nintendo's prez just said the Switch has "entered about the middle of its life cycle", at "4" years (counting the fiscal years rather than actual years since launch.)

:arrow: sourcey

x65943 and Silent_Gunner like this.
  6. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Oi! Brawl was my first SSB game, and I freaking loved the Subspace Emissary! :teach:

7. wiiuepiccpu

wiiuepiccpu Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Or even better Actually take like a 7 year vacation!

8. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Argentina
    I honesty found the game kinda disappointing. I still bought it but my favourite is still Brawl.

9. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    He literally always says the current game is his last game. Wonder why.

10. E-ZombieHERO

E-ZombieHERO Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    As stated prior, Sakurai has suggested in interviews twice before that "this" Smash Bros. title will be his last, so I'll believe it when I see it.

I also will never understand the x is best crap either. I've always viewed each one the same as the last, fun with friends, boring as hell solo.

JavaScribe likes this.
  11. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    When people say Brawl is trash, they're specifically referring to the gameplay mechanics (with the most famous being tripping), but they're entire removal of what made the movement so fluid and great at a casual and competitive level in Melee and 64 was a big deal for many people.
    With that being said, if you're not interested in tournament play or learning techskill, then casually speaking Brawl was a great game. It was fun with lots of content, and by far the best soundtrack in the series. The Emissary was really fun.
    But if you compare Melee and Brawl against eachother from a competitive stand point, it's kind of sad to see what happened.

IncredulousP and banjo2 like this.
  12. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

United States
    Didn't Sakurai intentionally make Brawl as anti-competitive as possible because of his dislike of the competitive smash scene? This alone left a sour taste in my mouth. I loved Nintendo when I was a kid but they would always take great ideas and lead them in a strange undesirable direction, or just squander potential entirely. Just my opinion.

Last edited by IncredulousP, Feb 4, 2020
    Vorde likes this.
  13. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    Hope to see this book in English at some point.

F for respect

14. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

United States
    Interesting... and yeah, it's probably some five years away, but developing a console takes a pretty long time. We won't be hearing about it any time soon, obviously.
    SSB4 was my first Smash game, and even I was pretty disappointed at the lack of a Subspace Emissary successor.
    ...yes, the 3DS version. At least that got something better than Smash Tour.
    And here I wonder why I'm bad at SSB, only having owned the version with no external controller options. It's near impossible to tilt attack on the 3DS...

15. AkiraKurusu

Australia
    I didn't even bother with the 3DS version, since I had previously gone through several Circle Pads playing other games - namely, I believe, Super Mario 64 DS.
    If there's one major flaw with the 3DS line, it's gotta be the Circle Pads; the adhesive sticking it to the stick just wears out too easily, and it's near-impossible to fix. I love the system, its wide library including backwards-compatibility, and the stereoscopic 3D; the Circle Pad, however, is just...ugh.

16. banjo2

banjo2 little man

United States
    I'm going OT here, but I've never understood why people think the Switch revisions should/would use the circle pads if they're so bad. I get that the current sticks have drift, but one is a stick and the other isn't....

JavaScribe likes this.
  17. AkiraKurusu

Australia
    You want to know my opinion?
    Nintendo should bring back the Wii U Pro Controller, and just slap "Switch" over the "Wii U" logo. I'm using mine to play on my (docked) Switch, and it's fantastic - by far my favourite Nintendo controller.
    Oh, the JoyCons...screw'em; they need to be redesigned. Make them slightly larger and add more space between the stick and the buttons; also, align the sticks so they're actually comfortable. Nintendo, you do realise your standard controllers for the past decade (Wii & Wii U) have had aligned sticks? That your competitor, Sony, has had aligned sticks since the PS1 controller revision, back in the late 90s or something? Don't copy Microsoft with its :shit: controllers; go with what you know best!

18. E-ZombieHERO

E-ZombieHERO Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I loved my Pro controller because it never once seemed to need a charge in all the years I've had it. But it's a couple years old now and the left stick has started acting up, just like I've heard people comment about the gamepad.

If we ever do get a Wii U Pro inspired Switch controller, that left stick crap has to go. I've had my eye on the Switch GameCube controller though it looks deceivingly brilliant.

19. AkiraKurusu

Australia
    Huh; I still have my GamePad from launch, and apart from being a bit dusty and stuff (nothing a good damp wipe-down won't fix), it still works perfectly well. No issues with the touch screen, analog sticks or buttons.
    I bought my Wii U Pro Controller a year or two after launch, since I didn't need it immediately, and despite having been largely ignored in a drawer (I did occasionally use it, but it didn't receive heavy use until last year) until I got my Magic-NS dongle, no issues except for a bit of grime.

GameCube controllers, though...never really liked them. Firstly, on the official early-2000s GameCube controllers, the C-stick is too nubby and stiff - no idea if this was fixed in any official or unofficial remakes, though. The design itself; unaligned analog sticks are uncomfortable, I can never remember where X and Y are in relation to each other, and the L and R buttons require deep presses to fully press them - that could've been halved and still work just fine.

20. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    About Melee:

And this is where the franchise completely changed, and why people still play Melee to this day.
    I'm sure there will be more smash games in the future, but they'll most likely just be a port of Ultimate with some extras.
    Maybe they'll arrive before my inputs register in Ultimate, approximately 5 years.

tl;dr casual is leet now so fuck you - Sakurai and Nintendo since the Wii.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - interview, describes, Ultimate