Sakura Wallpapers: A quick guide

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by strata8, Jun 28, 2008.

Jun 28, 2008
  1. strata8
    OP

Member strata8 Look! A pointless distraction!

Australia
    This guide is for Fireworks. It may also apply to other programs, but the steps will be different.

When making custom wallpapers for Sakura, you have to take into consideration that the DS screen can only display 262,144 colours. That means that most images will look like an 8-bit bitmap. Most 8-bit images (especially the ones that use gradients) look very bad. But, there is a way to improve the quality of these wallpapers greatly. It's called dithering, and it's something your going to need when making wallpapers for your DS.

How to enable dithering

This will lead you though the steps to enable dithering in Fireworks which is a program commonly used to design wallpapers and websites.

To enable dithering, you first need to save your image as an 8-bit BMP file. Once you have opened your image, click on Save As under the File menu and select BMP from the drop-down Save as type list. After you have done that, press the Options... button to bring up another window. The window should contain a preview of your image as well as various controls on the left hand side.

In the top-left corner, there should be another drop down list that should currently say BMP24. Click on it and select BMP8. Make sure the colour table is set to Adaptive. The preview should show you something like this:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it looks pretty bad. That's why we need to enable dithering. Under BMP8 there should be a check box that says Dithering. Enable it, and make sure it is set to 100%. You should end up with something like this:

[​IMG]

Much nicer, and, best of all, it'll look just like that on the DS screen. It's also still an 8-bit BMP. So now you can click OK and save your image wherever you want. Put it onto your card, open it with Sakura, and press START. A loading bar should come up, and once it is finished you will have your custom wallpaper.

Do not convert it to any other format, otherwise the dithering will be negated.

2. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Nice tutorial. [​IMG]

3. Dunny

Member Dunny GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    How did you arrive at that figure? 8bpp images generally get 8 bits per colour channel, hence the name. 262,144 is nowhere near the same amount, off by several million. It may be that the DS can only display that amount of colours, but is that colours onscreen in one image? Or the total palette size?

D.

4. strata8
    OP

Australia
    The DS has a total palette size of 262,144. The BMP8 I used used 256 colours out of 246,840 colours, but I'm not sure if that's the whole palette, or what. I just assumed that a BMP8 image had a palette of 246,840 colours.

5. Dunny

Member Dunny GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Nah, 8bpp images hold 256 of a possible 16,777,216 colours. It's quite a surprise that the DS only supports such a limited palette - I've worked pretty much exclusively with 24bpp images on the DS, and never noticed banding on smooth gradients at all...

6. Axel-MaV

Newcomer Axel-MaV Member

Brazil
    Well, its to set a wallpaper, but to make the skin i need to make this with the bmps?
    If yes, then i need to convert to 8bit and paste this into the original bmp (24bit) or can i save like 8bit bmp?

Thanks and sorry for my english [​IMG]

7. strata8
    OP

Australia
    When making a skin you can just save the BMP's as a normal 24-bit, because Sakura will automatically dither it for you when it loads the skin.