1. whateverg1012

OP whateverg1012 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Anyone who has played Sakuna may have noticed the bad quality of the dialogue audio on the Switch version:

Code:
    Switch (4:46):

https://youtu.be/n0dPzqYK3eY?t=286

PC (4:29):

https://youtu.be/gB0e0UB16rs?t=270
    I am trying to make a layeredfs patch to fix the dialogue. The PC and Switch file directory seem interchangeable, with the PC files in dataWin/ and the Switch files in dataSwitch/.
    The files of interest located in these folders seem to be AudioCommon.arc, AudioEventVoice_en.arc, AudioEventVoice_jp.arc, and AudioStream.arc.

However, when placing the PC audio files as a layeredfs patch into [titleid]/romfs/dataSwitch/, the Switch version ends up having no audio at all.

Any ideas?

Last edited by whateverg1012, Nov 15, 2020
  2. masagrator

masagrator The patches guy

Poland
    Some audio middleware is using random filename patterns or they are using different codecs (on Switch to have 5.1 you need to use PCM compliant files like WAV). You need to open those arcs files and check filenames + codecs in PC and Switch.

whateverg1012 likes this.
  3. whateverg1012

United States
    That makes sense, any idea how to uncompress and recompress these .arc files? Unable to find tools online that work.

Was thinking this would be a simple job, but if it requires using a hexeditor it may be beyond my ability...

Last edited by whateverg1012, Nov 15, 2020
  4. masagrator

Poland
    It's using custom engine, so dunno which tool (if there is) can open it.

5. whateverg1012

United States
    Yeah looks like it may be a more involved process than I thought, thank you for the help though! I'll poke around and see if I can figure anything out.

6. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Chile
  7. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Chile
    SakunaTool works for me in both (PC-Switch) AudioEventVoice_Jp.arc files but currently there's no way to pack them back, also the Switch version points to a .nsopus file while the PC version points to a .opus file.

This is what I got with the PC .arc file
    upload_2020-11-23_14-3-12.png
    Ogg encode 48 bitrate sound file.

On Switch side the header is garbled:
    upload_2020-11-23_14-4-58.png

I tried to rename the .opus files from PC version to .nsopus but I got no voice audio, other audio plays fine though

Funny enough the PC version audio files are slightly smaller in size than Switch version, but they sound better :P, so it wasn't a problem with the overall size of the game to fit in a gamecard they just encoded it in lower bitrate for some reason.

Last edited by cucholix, Nov 23, 2020
  8. masagrator

Poland
    @cucholix pulled me to check this and my theory is completely different:

So only way to get PC audio files running on Switch is to have SDK installed, use opus encoder included in SDK with much higher bitrate to convert PC audio files and replace data with hex editor in each one nsopus. On pc opus encoders limits max bitrate to 256 Kbps, so probably on switch you won't get higher.

PC and Switch versions may are using the same bitrate, just differences in page aligning (heavily used on Switch 0x80 vs non existent on PC) give slightly different filesizes.

Last edited by masagrator, Nov 23, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - compressed, dialogue, Sakuna