Saints Row 4, State of Decay Refused Classification in Australia

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

Remember how Australia was supposed to be reforming its system of game classification to something a bit more sensible? So it would no longer effectively ban games with "mature" themes and subject matter? To cut down on all the needless censorship?

Ha ha, too bad!

:arrow: Joystiq

(That "implied sexual violence" bit? Referring to an alien anal probe. Of course, Destroy All Humans had an anal probe gun and was not refused classification, but hey, consistency is hard.)

:arrow: Undead Labs Forums

I guess the Australian ratings board is in a State of Decay all its own.

Australia has had a long history of banning games or forcing developers to censor their vision in order to see release (ranging from Fallout 3 to Left 4 Dead 2 and beyond). It seems like the government was trying to step away from this past, but just when I thought they were out, they pull themselves back in.

So continued video game censorship, some of the most dangerous animals known to man, and harsh, inhospitable deserts. Sheesh, Australia, get it together!

2. Fluto

Fluto A potato in disguise

Apr 17, 2009
    The Moon
    Yeah, very lame move after "R18+" classification. It's strange, Saints Row IV is going to be displayed at PAX AUS, well I guess its cancelled now :/

3. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    Eh well, can always import from Hong Kong.

4. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    So shouldn't anal probing and drug use fall under the R18+ rating?

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I thought they were supposed to create a new rating and not just rename the old one?

Dark S. likes this.
  6. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    I managed to find a sneak preview here. They're handing it off to the same team that did this mod.

Of course they still need to remove the puppies if it's going to be AUS-accepted.
    Puppies can bite, and biting is a bad bad nono thing, so the puppies need to go.

Kippykip, EZ-Megaman, Sagat and 3 others like this.
  7. Zerosuit connor

Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    Saints Row 4 was refused because of the Alien Anal Probe! I don't understand, we have the R18 rating now, so why not rate it that and make it a parents responsibility that it doesn't end up in the wrong hands?

gifi4 likes this.
  8. femalemalls15
    This message by femalemalls15 has been removed from public view by ProtoKun7, Jun 26, 2013.
    Jun 26, 2013
  9. Puppy_Washer

Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2009
    Sydney
    Because the classification board believes that Saints Row 4 and State Of Decay aren't suitable for anybody. Even adults will not be able to handle the adult themes. It's just that adult.

10. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    I heard they are going to release an australian-only version. So basically they are trying to adulte-rate it (or not)

11. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Am I missing something? Shouldn't the R18+ include everything not suitable for anyone under 18? In other words, it's either R18+ or it isn't (lower restrictions are of course available). Good job Australia. You dun good!

As a side matter, is importing said game(s) illegal? How about second hand games? ("I bought this game while living in Europe and now want to sell it")

12. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    So, every one else gets Saints Row 4, and Australia gets.....whatever the hell is left by the time Australia considers it appropriate for the apparently easily influenced adults of the country.

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's funny because Australia was founded by convicts. :tpi:

14. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Adults don't exist in Australia, just children that doesn't like violence.

15. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey

You're on the right track but wrong at the same time. Australia is filled with many adults in Australia but it's most of our government that is filled with Children.

16. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    The line "Australia is populated entirely by criminals" (from The Princess Bride") was far more funny before I knew it was actually true (in the time that the movie takes place at least).

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To be fair, it was convicts and the Imperial instruments of opression... until the instruments left. :tpi:

18. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    They both should get instant R-18+, I doubt the anal probing is happening to a child, so why ban the game and drug use, couldn't they censor the drug names, the US still does this kind of censoring, hello. I bet the UK version won't be RCed nor the German version (with a little censorship at the worst).

19. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

Dec 2, 2007
    Perth
    Lawlers. So much for our R18 rating

gifi4 likes this.
  20. Zerosuit connor

Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    Hence, the R18+ Rating. What's the point of having it?

21. shoyrumaster11

shoyrumaster11 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2011
    With the Thunderjuggling Cugglecats!
    I have a bad feeling that one of my closest friends (once they find this out) is going to tell me that he just downloaded this game. *awkward faceplam* Just don't tell the police that you did that!