Sage option

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Sendoh, Oct 3, 2008.

Oct 3, 2008

Sage option by Sendoh at 9:11 PM (1,262 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Sendoh
    OP

Member Sendoh GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Just wanted to know if it's possible to implement a sage option just so you don't bump up threads when you're contributing a new post as a sort of afterthought. Possible benefits: leave the post there (to complete the thread, such as additional tidbits of information) for the sake of thread searchers and subscribers to read, but not important enough to be bumped up.

And no, I'm not a /b/tard or 4channer, so please don't flame me. [​IMG]

EDIT: sage is a command in 4chan where you don't bump the thread up after you post a message, it remains where it is.

Also, possible repercussion: People sage-ing in century-old threads hoping to increase their post count.

2. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    wat do u mean by "sage"?

3. Holaitsme

Member Holaitsme 10/10 would be loyal again

United States
    It's something stupid created by 4chan.

4. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    i went on 4chan once. a few yrs ago. freaky place. heard sum guy got banned for posting a picture of a dead girl covered in maggots O.O

5. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    wow, i didnt get banned for posting a dead girl covered in maggots...

Anyway, we don't need "sage" but we need an option to reply without bumping the topic. I suggested this to Sinkhead and he thought it was a good idea.

6. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    sage sounds like a good idea, would be rather useful. I'm for it.

7. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Wait, so what would that change exactly? New posts would still appear on the top-right of the homepage and stuff, but the topic itself won't be brought up?

So, just like USN and Blog Articles?

8. Seven

Member Seven oh hell no

United States
    Wrong.

It originated in Japanese BBS imageboard systems. Sage is the shortened form of "sageru," meaning to lower, to move back. It is not something "stupid" created by 4chan, it was by default implemented by the board configuration. How it's used is based on the user, and shouldn't be altogether be considered a stupid creation, but rather, a user-driven function used to move unpopular/undesired threads backwards and the good, worthy-read threads forward. That's the gist of it.

Anyhow, I'm for using it, if it does get rid of useless or altogether superficial threads. Just not in the form of "sage" though. Using it by that name would only make some trouble.

9. Dwight

Member Dwight Gawb. Gawb Bluth.

United States
    If there's an option to reply without bumping the topic, people will just use it to up their post counts.

10. VISHI SO FISHI

Member VISHI SO FISHI Cricket My love!

India
    I want a avatar like urs, where to i get it? [​IMG]

11. Sendoh
    OP

Member Sendoh GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Thanks for the opinions. I'm wondering if it can be implemented though. Must be hard, since I've not seen any forum which has this option other than the *chan type forums.

Mentioned that in my first post. A possible option would be to restrict the accumulation of post counts with sage, or something to that effect, or an entirely different tabulation all together. E.g. Your posts which go toward the 500 title-change mark are, let's say 174, but your other posts, including sage and testing area posts, are recorded separately.

12. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    That sounds wonderful. I'm for it as well. If anything, the post can appear in the Recent Discussions on the Forums box, but when you go to that actual forum, the topic from 2004 that someone bumped won't be staring us blankly in the face.

If you don't want to call it Sage...well, bringing up way-old topics is called necro'ing. So why not something life- or holy-related? You know, opposites. Or if you want to call it bumping, you can call it something like Flat or Flatline or whatnot.

Flatline. It does like its namesake, kills topics and makes sure they stay down. That and there won't be any annoying bumps in the road if it's all flat.

Steamroller!

13. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    2channel actually.

I like this idea but I don't think it could be worked into IPB easily.