Hacking Safety of Gateway vs Palantine CFW

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As of now, it is possible to downgrade your 3DS FW to 4.2 (FW <= 9.2), use EmuNAND (up to current 9.4) and install .CIA files even without a Gateway card. GBAtemp user Chaldron has posted some excellent guides on the topic:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...r-firmware-to-cfw-4-5-without-gateway.378371/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-4-5-sysnand-4-5-cfw-9-4-emunand-without-gateway.378721/

So, now I'm wondering, does it even make sense to buy a GW card anymore?

The only obvious downside of Chaldrons method (using the Palantine CFW & .CIA) is that some games require a 3DS FW >= 7.x and therefore will not run (as the Palantine CFW requires a 3DS FW between 4.2 and 4.5). But even that may eventually be fixed, and until then a library of hundreds of game backups is accessible. Also, you will only need a DS mode flashcard such as the well supported R4i Gold, which runs a lot cheaper than a GW card. A guide to convert any 3DS / 3DZ backup to CIA format is found here.

My only real concern with Chaldrons method is safety (or "bricking risk"). Although there are to my(!) knowledge no confirmed bricks yet, it is still relatively new and not much has been tested yet. We're also all still scared from the timed bricks the GW team once hid inside their FW and I'm not sure if we can trust the MTCard team on that issue.

Anyways, any ideas or experiences on that?

BTW, I know that "Chaldrons method" is actually the work of a lot more people, but they are given proper credit inside his threads.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And, an addition, after looking through the release list. The more interesting (my opinion, obviously) game backups you won't be able to play using Chaldrons method are these:
  • Mario Golf World Tour
  • Yoshis New Island
  • Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright
  • Cooking Mama 5
  • Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
  • Pokemon Omage Ruby
  • Ultimate NES Remix
  • Super Smash Bros 3DS
Don't take my word for it, though. That is only after a quick glance at the list, there might be more interesting and incompatible games, and there might already be fixes for the ones listed.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As of now, it is possible to downgrade your 3DS FW to 4.2 (FW <= 9.2), use EmuNAND (up to current 9.4) and install .CIA files even without a Gateway card. GBAtemp user Chaldron has posted some excellent guides on the topic:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...r-firmware-to-cfw-4-5-without-gateway.378371/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-4-5-sysnand-4-5-cfw-9-4-emunand-without-gateway.378721/

So, now I'm wondering, does it even make sense to buy a GW card anymore?

The only obvious downside of Chaldrons method (using the Palantine CFW & .CIA) is that some games require a 3DS FW >= 7.x and therefore will not run (as the Palantine CFW requires a 3DS FW between 4.2 and 4.5). But even that may eventually be fixed, and until then a library of hundreds of game backups is accessible. Also, you will only need a DS mode flashcard such as the well supported R4i Gold, which runs a lot cheaper than a GW card. A guide to convert any 3DS / 3DZ backup to CIA format is found here.

My only real concern with Chaldrons method is safety (or "bricking risk"). Although there are to my(!) knowledge no confirmed bricks yet, it is still relatively new and not much has been tested yet. We're also all still scared from the timed bricks the GW team once hid inside their FW and I'm not sure if we can trust the MTCard team on that issue.

Anyways, any ideas or experiences on that?

BTW, I know that "Chaldrons method" is actually the work of a lot more people, but they are given proper credit inside his threads.
Did you forget about how buggy the CFW is? It takes like 20 minutes just to get the damn thing to work and that only lasts until you power it off or go into System Settings.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Did you forget about how buggy the CFW is? It takes like 20 minutes just to get the damn thing to work and that only lasts until you power it off or go into System Settings.

Wow I'm interested in the "20 minutes" you said... The fact is that it takes maximum 5 minutes to activate CFW.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, actually I don't own a 3DS yet, I'm just trying to decide on method now and so I'm reading through the forum. Everytime you turn your 3DS off, you need to wait 20 minutes until the CFW is loaded? Duh, that's a big downside... But, is it safe?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, actually I don't own a 3DS yet, I'm just trying to decide on method now and so I'm reading through the forum. Everytime you turn your 3DS off, you need to wait 20 minutes until the CFW is loaded? Duh, that's a big downside... But, is it safe?
Not exactly, the CFW doesn't boot correctly most of the time, so you have to force the 3DS to power off by holding the power button for about 15 seconds, then repeat the process of powering on the 3DS again, entering system settings and going into DS profile.

Wow I'm interested in the "20 minutes" you said... The fact is that it takes maximum 5 minutes to activate CFW.
Well, it sure feels like 20 minutes, to say the least. I'm positive it took me at least 10-15 minutes of power cycling sometimes to finally get the CFW to boot. That's just not acceptable for me.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not exactly, the CFW doesn't boot correctly most of the time, so you have to force the 3DS to power off by holding the power button for about 15 seconds, then repeat the process of powering on the 3DS again, entering system settings and going into DS profile.

Well, it sure feels like 20 minutes, to say the least. I'm positive it took me at least 10-15 minutes of power cycling sometimes to finally get the CFW to boot. That's just not acceptable for me.

Sometime 1 but normally about 3 or 4. There's nothing wrong about FREE even it takes 1 hour to activate :D

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sometime 1 but normally about 3 or 4. There's nothing wrong about FREE even it takes 1 hour to activate :D
You know the saying, time is money.
My time is worth more than the GW costs. If CFW was the only option, then maybe.

Well, it's a tradeoff, for sure. Maybe a bad one. You save X $ once, but you lose Y minutes every time you turn your 3DS on. Also, technically, while the CFW is free, you still need to invest in a compatible DS mode flashcard.

I'm still more concerned about the safety against bricking, though. You have to force shutdown your 3DS multiple times and the CFW is still somewhat unreliable? I might be wrong, but that doesn't sound well for the bricking risk issue as well.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's ok ._. spend 5 minutes to activate doesn't mean anything of playing game that takes hours.
I rarely play a game for hours. I pick it up when I'm bored, and put it down when I want to do something else, and most likely won't play any more that day, so it doesn't make sense to keep the 3DS on in sleep mode 24/7 either. I admit it's not a big problem if you're the kind that plays games all day. I wouldn't mind it if I didn't have to actively power cycle the 3DS then wait in anticipation to see if the CFW will successfully boot every time. It's torture.

Well, it's a tradeoff, for sure. Maybe a bad one. You save X $ once, but you lose Y minutes every time you turn your 3DS on. Also, technically, while the CFW is free, you still need to invest in a compatible DS mode flashcard.

I'm still more concerned about the safety against bricking, though. You have to force shutdown your 3DS multiple times and the CFW is still somewhat unreliable? I might be wrong, but that doesn't sound well for the bricking risk issue as well.
It's a bit disconcerting, every time I had to power cycle the 3DS there was a voice in the back of my head saying "what if you get a BSOD?", it's probably unlikely but you can't help but worry. The elitist hackers did say that it was buggy and could cause bricks though, but I don't remember seeing any reports of it actually happening.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Every time you want to turn off for various reasons, like battery ran out and no charger available, or to take out sd card of inserting stuff,
you must tell yourself, sigh, it takes forever to turn on.

It's simply not worth the frustration, especially when it cannot play all games.

Furthermore, my NAND size changed before on CFW, and rendered usage impossible.
Had to re setup. it's troublseome.

Dark Fulgore

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And, an addition, after looking through the release list. The more interesting (my opinion, obviously) game backups you won't be able to play using Chaldrons method are these:
  • Mario Golf World Tour
  • Yoshis New Island
  • Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright
  • Cooking Mama 5
  • Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
  • Pokemon Omage Ruby
  • Ultimate NES Remix
  • Super Smash Bros 3DS
Don't take my word for it, though. That is only after a quick glance at the list, there might be more interesting and incompatible games, and there might already be fixes for the ones listed.

Mario Golf and Yoshi's New Island works on the CFW, even with the DLC.

Reactions: thaikhoa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1