Hacking Safety of downgrading to 4.5?

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway says the following on their website regarding downgrading to 4.5:

We want to caution users using the downgrade feature: it is a dangerous operation as it will write to sysnand and if something goes wrong it may brick your 3DS.
We currently recommend that ONLY USERS WITH A NAND MOD try this, and report back any issues.

I don't have a NAND mod, but I'm assuming they're just saying that because it's still in beta and they don't want to be responsible for any (more) bricks. Is there actually a significant risk, as long as I keep it plugged in and don't turn it off or anything during the process? My sysnand is 9.2, and my emunand is 9.4.

If I do a NAND backup beforehand, the worst case scenario is just that I'd need to get a NAND mod installed, rather than a new 3DS, right? I mean if even that is a significant risk I wouldn't want to try it yet, but if it's like a 1% chance I'm willing to accept the risk.

Has anyone tried to downgrade using GW and gotten a brick, or is Gateway simply overstating the risk since it hadn't had a significant amount of testing when they posted that?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets start with the premise of your question. You can't downgrade to 4.5 only 4.2. Then you would need to upgrade to 4.5.

It is probably safer than a weekend in Vegas. :)

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets start with the premise of your question. You can't downgrade to 4.5 only 4.2. Then you would need to upgrade to 4.5.

It is probably safer than a weekend in Vegas. :)

Is there any way I could then upgrade to 4.5 without needing any games I might not have? Using Gateway perhaps?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can bribe your local gamestop employee with a few bucks to let you use their copy of luigis mansion B-)

or maybe they will let you do it for free

Ketsueki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What's the difference between 4.2 and 4.5 ? what are the benefits?
Sorry, I'm new to the gateway just trying to learn as much as possible at the moment.

iwasaperson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use a ROM and Gateway to upgrade.

Step 1: Make sure your SD card doesn't have EmuNAND on it.

Step 2: Hold L when launching the exploit.

Step 3: Hold up on the D-Pad when launching Gateway Mode.

Step 4: Press Select and select the game from the menu

Step 5: Launch the game. It will prompt you to update to 4.5.

Pawed

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Downgrading is pretty safe imho. Just remember to check the md5 of the DG file and remember to back up your 9.2 SysNAND prior to downgrading. GW will force you to back up your SysNAND anyways, before starting the downgrade process.

I also recommend that you take more than one SysNAND backup... they all should have the same md5 AFAIK.

Also hi fellow TPPer BigBrother

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Downgrading is pretty safe imho. Just remember to check the md5 of the DG file and remember to back up your 9.2 SysNAND prior to downgrading. GW will force you to back up your SysNAND anyways, before starting the downgrade process.

I also recommend that you take more than one SysNAND backup... they all should have the same md5 AFAIK.

Also hi fellow TPPer BigBrother

How did you know I was into TPP? Did you recognize my username from somewhere? (Praise Helix)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi