Hacking safety first

kwantan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright. So, I just purchased a 2nd hand wii and its a 2008 version and i can't install bootmii as boot2. Before I start I was wondering what precautions do I make to prevent bricking. Install bootmii as IOS? then install preloader? and then follow the ultimate guide?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You don't want a brick?

Then don't use one of the stupid super noob friendly everything there is and more in one guides. If a guide has DVDX but no media player, it downgrades IOS35, if it uses IOS16, if it uses preloader and you just want backups, if it downgrades the system menu etc. it's bad.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What WiiPower means to say is that there are 100 noob guides to guide you through this process. However, you should not attempt anything ever unless you are fully confident that you will not brick yourself beyond repair. Therefore, you need to read every guide you can find, read as many threads as you are able and educate yourself before installing anything. If you ask a question and trust someone here to provide you with a correct answer you are setting yourself up for a brick. I'm not saying anyone here is malicious, just that there are a lot of people who will answer your questions when they really don't know what they are talking about and the people who do know what they are talking about get tired of answering the same questions over and over (WiiPower)
tongue.gif

kwantan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ahhh gotcha... I understand the frustration for people who know their shit and probably been posting the same shit a million times for people like me. I have been reading guides and posts over and over and thats what i find confusing...there so much information and pickin out the right info is tough

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What i meant is simple: I only saw 1 good guide, the rest will either not work(best case), install lots of stuff you don't need, and mess with the system, or it will leave you with unusable IOS(IOS35 downgrade on boot2v4 Wiis).

bannerbomb -> HBC -> [TBR -> cIOS | cBoot2 -> install wad -> cIOS] -> loader
every guide i saw with more is useless, not working, crap or dangerous.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
What i meant is simple: I only saw 1 good guide, the rest will either not work(best case), install lots of stuff you don't need, and mess with the system, or it will leave you with unusable IOS(IOS35 downgrade on boot2v4 Wiis).

bannerbomb -> HBC -> [TBR -> cIOS | cBoot2 -> install wad -> cIOS] -> loader
every guide i saw with more is useless, not working, crap or dangerous.

agreed ... and to add AVOID ANY GUIDE THAT TELLS YOU HOW TO PUT A THEME your Wii!!! ....

Cannot stress that enough ... lately has been an influx of BRICKS/SEMI BRICKS due to trying to put a pretty pointless fancy theme on then finding out the hard way it wasn't worth it!

my advice ... if its not broken ..why fix it!

follow the guides to the letter! ......... and ask questions where necessary before proceeding!

kwantan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yea I don't care about any themes, i just want to load backups and install wiiware wads. I'll save the rest for the people who know what they're doing. I got bannerbomb and HBC installed. Nothing to that. I just get scared when it comes to installing cIOS or when i see downgrading.

"bannerbomb -> HBC -> [TBR -> cIOS | cBoot2 -> install wad -> cIOS] -> loader"

what does the [TBR -> cIOS | cBoot2 mean?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It means: either:
use TBR to get a trucha capable IOS36, and then use the cIOS installer
or:
use cBoot2, install a cIOS wad, and then use the cIOS installer

kwantan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One more thing. Where I am not able to install bootmii as boot2 will preloader be enough to save me from a brick?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm