Hacking Safemodding Essentials

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Just some things you might want to be aware of if you're a beginner in the Wii scene.
This is not intended to cover all the details (which you can find via other stickies or searches), its primary intention is to give you a head start.

Dos: (These may protect you or help you recover from a brick)
Install bootmii as boot2 (if possible).
Make a Nand backup (via bootmii, mini or WiiND)
Install Homebrew channel.
Block Updates (via brickblocker, preloader or starpatch)

Don'ts: (These will likely lead you to a brick)
Format your Wii (via settings).
Delete system menu.
Delete any IOS' (especially those used by system menu - IOS9,11,20,30,50,52,60).
Install untested wads/themes without bootmii or preloader installed.
Update system menu without knowing what you may gain/lose.
Downgrade system menu or IOS' (especially If your wii has boot2v4 (aka LU64/65) revision or newer).

Suggestions welcome.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
A nand backup can only be used as backup if BootMii is installed as boot2. Doing a nand backup with anything else is kind of pointless.

Also i would add deleting regular IOS to the don't list, too many people deleted required IOS. Also your system menu IOS information is inaccurate, look here:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu

Also, i would call LU64+ Wiis, boot2v4 Wiis, that's the name bushing uses too.

And add downgrading of ANYTHING to the don't list. Only downgrade method released that is safe on boot2v4 Wiis that i know of is the IOS15 downgrade in my Trucha Bug Restorer.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would wager 99% of "region-changing" scenarios (for the deck itself) are useless and dangerous, especially to noobies, and generally serve the general public no purpose worth the risk.

also, to the "Do's" list, you may want to add "update blocking" (in some form) to prevent people from getting out of region updates.

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys, made some changes.

WiiPower: I justify making a Nand dump, because it is a simple way of restoring the wii to a past state via bootmii or without bootmii, Infectus if available (afaik). If this reason isn't good enough I will remove it
wink.gif

Should I add - Install a Custom IOS ?
huh.gif
because it's useful if you've updated and lost all vunerable IOS'.

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I think older models are fairly safe to downgrade, however it should be kept because most people coming to the forum in future will probably have the boot2v4 wiis.

dogeggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i can think of one reason you can add - updating to 3.4 via disc after you have downgraded from 4 will brick you won't it?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about putting "Read all Stickies" under Dos. Granted, that doesn't mean anyone will. But at least they were told 1,000,001 times instead of just 1,000,000.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do:
If something seems like it might have went wrong or you're not 100% sure about what you are doing, figure out why it went wrong and what you are SUPPOSED to do.
Don't:
Randomly do stupid things on your own when things don't go exactly as a guide you followed said and come here saying you "accidentally" deleted or uninstalled something and bricked your Wii or something stupid like that.

This one may be more up to opinion but,

Don't:
Install CIOSCORP unless you completely understand what you are doing and what it does to your Wii and understand any risks it involves. (in which case you probably wouldn't want to anyways.)

And since someone ACTUALLY made a thread on it before:

Don't:
Force a disc into the Wii if it is not taking it in normally.

And this kinda also falls under the block updates/ don't update system menu categories but,

Don't:
Update from discs in the disc channel if you are unsure about what it will do.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Excellent !!

Though I doubt this will slim down the number of bricks we see in here
frown.gif

People try first, and when they brick they'll read unfortunately.

Dieulay

Trophies
XP
Country
Guys I've tried making a NAND backup from BootMii but everytime the process finishes and I put the SD card in my computer there is no NAND file!

I've installed as Boot2 and I've formatted the SD card several times already. When I check the properties of the CARD it says that 520MB (or similar size) of the card is already taken - from installing the NAND. But the NAND seems to not show on the card...

Any help guys?

EDIT: Nevermind, used a SanDisk card instead of a crappy Kingston one.
biggrin.gif

melodical

Trophies
XP
Country
The same thing happened to me!!

I fixed it by using a sandisk 2gb sd card too! £5 free delivery from Play.c0m (uk).

SanDisk 2GB SD Memory Card ( NOT THE SDHC VERSION!!!!!!)

ACTUAL ITEM: hxxp://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/880300/SanDisk-2GB-SD-Memory-Card/Product.html

I've just ordered another for my sisters Wii !!!

wimu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Sorry but i want to install custom channels so im reading almost every where about banner brick what is that?
can i recover form it having Bootmii as a IOS?

jabmaster2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think bootmi as iso can recovery banner brick it's needs be as boot2 proloader though can fix banner bricks. A banner brick is a brick caused by installing a wad aka channel with a bad banner.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte