Hacking Safe upgrade to 4.0? and other questions

Idoliside

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 3.2E Wii, with HBC, DVDx, Starfall and USB Loader using Rev10. I installed the HBC using Twilight hack. Everything works fine at the moment but im thinking of problems in the future when games will want to force an upgrade to 4.0. Can I do the normal Wii upgrade path to 4.0? Or do i have to do anything different?

Also i've been reading bits about Bootmii and preloaders. What are these for and are they neccesarry.

I'm only thinking of the future, at the moment everything works fine but would be good to take advantage of SD card features and such like

Thanks for the help.

sfjuocekr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have made a guide here for 4.0, its quite large but it will guide you trough installing BootMii and Preloader:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=163732

It will update your Wii trough the official path and you will end up with a 4.0 truncha patched Wii.

No dataloss at all and everything works (atleast I have no issues with anything yet).

Let me know if you run into problems.

Idoliside

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok two questions then

1: How do i find out if i have LU64+ wii? Is that a Wii that's been bought recently?
2: How do i find out if i have Trucha patched wii?
3: i don't have a gamecube controller, will this be problematic with BootMii?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Correct. LU64 Wiis are the more-recent Wiis. From what I know, LU64 Wiis will encounter problems when softmodding with cIOS rev10 and lower. If you have a Wii that works on System Menu 3.2, you do NOT have an LU64 Wii.

If you haven't messed with IOSes, anything on System Menu 3.3 and up started patching the Trucha bug.

BootMii can be controlled with the buttons on the Wii (i.e.- Reset).

sfjuocekr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Idoliside said:
Ok two questions then

1: How do i find out if i have LU64+ wii? Is that a Wii that's been bought recently?
2: How do i find out if i have Trucha patched wii?
3: i don't have a gamecube controller, will this be problematic with BootMii?
/edit: thats three questions btw
tongue.gif

1: Yours runs 3.2 ... so its not a LU64+ Wii (as the above poster said).
2: If you ever installed IOS35/36 and/or ran IOS Downgrader you have truncha patched IOS'es.
3: Not if you have a BootMii/boot2 install, you can use the power/reset/eject buttons to browse the menu after restarting your Wii.

But as you have HBC etc already, I would just follow my guide from the "slutty" Wii section to make sure you start with a clean IOS base and work from there! As I'm sure you have used either a patched IOS35 or IOS36 to install cIOS? You will not loose any personal data on the Wii, following my guide.

Idoliside

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok im having problems with bootmii. I downloaded it through the HBC update (i needed one anyway) and installed the boot2. It said success but when i boot my Wii up i see nothing, nor do i see any option in HBC to access the BootMii instructions.

Idoliside

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The SD card has the bootmii folder and it prepared it for me before i installed. The SD card is compatible according to the charts

edit: it just worked!#

edit2: ok im now backing up my nand.

edit3: Ok i got to the bootmii menu, went to backup nand and it failed (error -1), tried again (which required several wii restarts to get onto Bootmii) and it failed earlier. Anyone got any ideas on this?

edit4: just tried a different SD card, the backup process worked this time, now verifying it. Thanks for the help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended