safe to use NesDs on dsi xl with supercard dstwo?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by spleenandpie, Aug 30, 2010.

1. spleenandpie
    OP

Member spleenandpie GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    so is it safe to use nesds on dsi xl with supercard dstwo?

apparently people are have issue with it like screen damage and dsi menu getting messed up.

iv looked around and could not find a clear yes or no answer

also some people say if you use a non sdhc micro sd card (1 to 2 gigabytes) that it works fine but on sdhc cards (4gb and up) is were the problem happens.

could some one please clarify. thank you

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Er, nothing has write support to the DSi right now other than one piece of homebrew for use with a specific IRL game, not even a flash cart.

I've never heard of those problems...

3. spleenandpie
    OP

Canada
  4. Rydian

United States
    For the first there's no way nesDS could have done that. No flash cart has write access to the DSi's internals.
    For the second, the one they mention as possibly damaging the screen isn't even nesDS, it's another emulator and even then they say it's a slight chance.

Whenever something goes wrong, people will blame whatever they were using at the time.

5. spleenandpie
    OP

Canada
    thank i got out of ds homebrew for a while after being really into it and i haven't caught up to all the new things that had happened with the dsi and things so far

6. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Have you even read the thread?

Also, the SCDS2 plugin thread right there on GBAtemp specifically says not to use nesDS with DSi XL.
    Something about the screen refresh rate killing the screen.

7. Rydian

United States
    Ah, I read the bottom where they talked about ZXDS, and I wasn't aware of what the SCDS2 sticky said.

8. spleenandpie
    OP

Canada
    so its not safe? also what about using a different nes emulator that wasn't nesds. would that be safe?

9. Rydian

United States
    Assuming the different NES emulator didn't use an odd refresh rate, it'd be safe. The sticky should have more info.

10. spleenandpie
    OP

Canada
    the sticky just said: "Warning:Do not use NesDS on a DSiXL."

but i guess that means no nes emulation on dsi xl with supercard dstwo. That really sucks cause one of the reasons i got mine was to play nes games on that awesome huge screen.

i cant really use nesterds cause it doesn't run at full speed

also i think its just with the supercard dstwo that this problem happens cause this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbd-aUDO48w

shows a guy using nesds on his dsi xl (can tell its nesds cause of the menu on the bottom screen) with no problems but from his other videos i can tell hes using the toptoy dsi.

so if im not mistaken this seems to only happen on the supercard dstwo. well if i really wanted to i could just buy a cheap dsi flashcart just to play nes games.

11. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    It might be only SCDS2.
    But what about using nesDS without the plugin?

But still, I wouldn't use nesDS on a DSiXL, regardless of the cart.
    Why would it happen only with SCDS2 and not on any other cart?

12. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    it happened to my Dsi XL using SC DSonei card and nesDs with super mario bros rom

my little niece been playing it until we eat BBQ she came and left my console inside house on pause with this damn game running..

after that i had my top screen burned with lines of the coin, time and stuff from the rom

so it happen not only with Dstwo, but i think only with dsi XL because of some refresh rate issue, or displaying fixed image for long time

since then i disable flicker to none in the display emu options of the nesds and avoid to keep my console open with any game on paused status

never seen this problem anymore since! i think safe for normal use of any game.. tough i check after my niece whenever she use my XL now ^^

edit : the burned image disapeared after i left my console alone for a few 4-5 hours off power

13. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    LCD screens don't get "burn-in", they exhibit "image retention". It's almost the same thing, but with image retention, the effect eventually fades as you play other games. Burn-in is permanent, but it really only affects CRT and Plasma TV's, not LCD's.

Image retention in LCD displays (and burn-in on CRT's and Plasma's) has been minimized quite a while ago, so it kind of surprises me that the DSi XL has issues with it this far along in the technology.

At least that is my understanding.

14. .psyched

Member .psyched GBAtemp Regular

France