Safe to Upgrade from 3.4U?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Gao, May 9, 2010.

May 9, 2010

Safe to Upgrade from 3.4U? by Gao at 11:52 PM (1,318 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Gao
    OP

Newcomer Gao Member

United States
    I have a few concerns that I have built up about updating my system menu. I have everything working like USB loading and such.

I have a Twilight hacked Wii 3.4U with Bootmii as boot2, Nand backup, have updated cIOSes installed, no priiloader because i'm on 3.4U, etc etc.

What I was wondering is

1. Is it worth it to upgrade or should I stay on 3.4U?(If Yes) Which should I upgrade to?
    2. Would Upgrading mess my Wii, channels and/or homebrew up?
    3. What is the safest way and most efficient way to upgrade my system menu
    4. Would it be safe to install Priiloader on it once I have upgraded?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. franky86

Newcomer franky86 Advanced Member

United States
    I am a bit outdated... I last modded my old wii after 4.2 came out, but i believe thats still the current firmware.

I can answer #1 for sure:

It is worth upgrading, you get access to the bigger SD cards and can play wiiware directly off an SD card. I am pretty sure some games can't even run without some of the IOS's from the newer firmware, you can probably install them individually, but there is really no point not to upgrade to the latest firmware.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

As for the route to go about it, I am unfamiliar with the current best methods.

3. Dr. Clipper

Member Dr. Clipper GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Yeah, the only real new feature is the ability to install Wiiware and VC you own to the SD card to free up some space on the Wii. If you don't need that, there is not much need to update right now.

For a safe method to update to 4.2, see my tutorial here.

4. Gao
    OP

Newcomer Gao Member

United States
    Thanks I followed the guide - Method 2 and works everythings okay homebrews still good my channels too,

Edit: Installed Priiloader! yay! anyways thanks you 2 for helping me out I really appreciate your replies ^^