Safe To Game On N3DSXL While Charging?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Zeldalife89, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Zeldalife89
    OP

Zeldalife89 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    I was wondering sometimes i want to keep playing or i want to game more than 3 hours i was thinking is it ok and safe to keep on gaming while im charging my device?
    I've seen alot of youtubers streaming while playing and charging so i'm assuming its ok?
    Want to double check though
    I dont want to hurt my system...

2. SaffronXL

SaffronXL Emulationer

Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    New Mexico
    Don't do it, it could overheat and burn down your house!

Just kidding, charging while playing is perfectly safe. The 3DS charges so slowly it hardly warms up at all, and stays much cooler, then, say, a charging phone. Nothing to worry about.

3. Zeldalife89
    OP

Zeldalife89 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Ok thanks just wondering do any of you actually do this?

4. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    I play on my o3dsxl while on charger all the time.

Darkyose likes this.
  5. TarkinMX

TarkinMX GBAtemp Regular

Nov 4, 2009
    United States
    I do it all the time as well.

6. Frezgle

Frezgle GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2016
    United States
    My old 3DS XL and 2DS have literally been plugged in for months and they're fine. Same with my laptop. I don't think that old "let it drain off-charger and don't use it while it's charging" advice applies to most modern devices.

Xiphiidae likes this.
  7. SaffronXL

SaffronXL Emulationer

Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    New Mexico
    Every day with my n3ds xl

8. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Not always good to do.
    It shorten the life of the battert. You can use more then your charging and it shortens the battery.

9. Autz

Autz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2016
    Venezuela
    Is not good... For your battery. The console is careless about it but if you have like 3 supplementary batteries (if you do that too often), then you're good.

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Well-designed charging circuits actually power the device off the charger, so the battery is actually not in use when charging. I can't say whether this applies to the 3DS though.
    What I wouldn't recommend doing however is leaving the console on the charger when it's fully charged. That might shorten the lifetime of your battery, though not by a lot.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Dec 5, 2016
    SaffronXL and Xiphiidae like this.
  11. SaffronXL

SaffronXL Emulationer

Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    New Mexico
    Even that's fine, the circuit stops charging once fully charged. The charging circuit takes care of everything with the battery, there's no reason to be concerned. If it didn't, we'd be hearing about exploding 3DSes all the time. Just charge, play, and be happy, and replace the battery every few years if it really concerns you.

12. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Unless I'm mistaken, the batteries and charge controller circuits used on the 3DS and all iterations of that is designed to handle overcharging. In fact, it's better to keep them at high charge than it is to let them drain to empty, as the latter is actually detrimental to the battery life. With the way the charge controller circuits work, they charge at full up to around 75% or so, then as it gets closer to 100%, the charge gets limited, up until the point where it has no need to charge anymore (or at least charge it with such a minuscule amount that it'll never reach full).

SaffronXL likes this.
  13. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Modern batteries shouldn't be a problem. The worse thing you actually can do to a battery is to overcharge it. Once it mets 100% plug it out. Laptops, phones and 3ds, all the same.

Most phones and laptops stop accepting charge once they reach 100%. That's why you sometime drop to 97% when you plug out your phone for example.

So no, you should be fine gaming while charging. Heck it's easy to switch batteries on N3DS XL anyway.

14. TheWhopper

TheWhopper Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Do the same as with smartphone.
    Never ever play till the 3ds goes out. The red light (bottom) means that you have 30% charge left.
    If it starts blinking you're at 10-20% (no official infos exist) and should start loading.

Load always to full in one go. You can remove the cable but try to avoid it. You can load when you want (60 / 50 / 30%) doesn't matter but it's much better for the battery life if you start at 10-20%.

Also playing is fine if you load it in one go. Even turning it on / off doesn't do anything to the battery. Just don't let it on the cable with a full battery for too long (like 8 hours or something)