Safe to format wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Gonff, Jan 5, 2010.

Jan 5, 2010

Safe to format wii? by Gonff at 8:20 AM (1,793 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Gonff
    OP

Newcomer Gonff Newbie

United States
    I've messed around a bit with modding the wii. I have v4.0 and successfully installed the homebrew channel which I use to play virtual consoles but i've terribly failed at installing a loader and all the other jazz. I now want to just get all that off my wii before it gets bricked since I'm not really using the homebrew channel anymore and would like to have the other features like the offical shop.

So my question is, could I just format the wii and have it all vanish, or could this also give me risk to brick the wii since i've changed the system files?

2. C175R

Member C175R GBAtemp Pirate

United States
    why don't you just update it to 4.2 then? doesn't that delete all the stuffs like HBC and other stuffs you installed on your Wii?

3. hellion_52883

Member hellion_52883 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    DO NOT just go and format!!!!!!!!!!!

I can still use my wii but i can not install Home brew channel.....That's like the first step to the softmod

Posts merged

Also don't just update though Nintendo use waninkoko 4.2 update method (aka update safely)

4. Gonff
    OP

Newcomer Gonff Newbie

United States
    Thank you for the advices but what I am looking for is to not have to bother with modding anymore. I just want a nice clean system without ever modding it again in the future. So if a format makes it harder to get homebrew channel in the future is not a problem, and I don't want to update to 4.2 to get rid of it and risk getting bricked with whatever other files i've changed. I also don't want to have to keep doing all these homebrew methods to update or to keep from updating xD

I just want to know if it's completely safe to just format and start fresh (or if it's even possible to start fresh for that matter)

5. hellion_52883

United States
    Well, i do know FOR SURE after format it is NOT completely back to stock or you could install HBC after format, which is why i said that,

i read that if you install HBC then take it off to say sent it to nintendo for repairs, that they say F off you voided you warranty, but now these guys say that it doesn't void warranty ,

but this is what i was trying to do, restore it to factory setting, so i could install HBC again.....so no formating does not reset it completely

6. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Formatting is not good to do
    What you're looking for is a guide for revirginizing the Wii

There is one in the guide in my sig, but it'll update you to 4.2 (chance of bricking is small though)

7. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Once again I'll say under no circumstance is a wii format a good or useful thing to do in order to achieve anything. Don't format, it will only make your life more miserable.

Updating to 4.2 officially has a slight chance of bricking due to the boot2 update, but otherwise will pretty much virginize your Wii as far as homebrew is concerned. You can also just update to 4.2 as in xzxero's guide and manually install official IOS's over everything and the system menu itself and the shop channel without touching boot2, and if you really want to you can run anytitledeleter and delete the IOS's above 200 and then run the hackmii installer again and uninstall the HBC if it is there to begin with.

8. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
  9. hellion_52883

United States
  10. razorback78

Philippines
    at least you could use this next time... [​IMG] thanks to tj_cool and crew.

11. hellion_52883

United States
    @razorback........

have any idea what to do after format, to get HBC back?

12. razorback78

Philippines
    re-hack. start from the top of the softmodding guide.

13. hellion_52883

United States
    sorry i hijacked your thread, i'm messaging him now