Hardware Safe to buy 3rd party docks?

Overwrite_Pixel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been looking around for cheap Switch docks because I'm cheap and don't want to spend 70+ dollars on a new one. I found this neat 3rd party one on Amazon for 26 bucks, but I recall seeing some reports that 3rd party docks were bricking systems after the 5.0 update (my switch is already 8.1.0 so I dont think it'll be a problem, I'm not sure). I haven't seen any recent reports of this, but I rather be safe than sorry.

Anyone have any input on this? The item on Amazon has a lot of great reviews.

Edit because a lot of people are mentioning it: I cannot use the shells that require me to gut out my original dock because I don't have an original dock.

Last edited by Overwrite_Pixel,

NightsEkim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure to do your research on docks, the docks that are frying systems are the ones that are USB C compliant which the switch is not and from what I've read causes bridging of hot pins resulting in high voltages going where they don't belong.

If you're worried just shell out for an official dock.

This isn't a firmware exclusive thing as the pins are bridging/shorting.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been looking around for cheap Switch docks because I'm cheap and don't want to spend 70+ dollars on a new one. I found this neat 3rd party one on Amazon for 26 bucks, but I recall seeing some reports that 3rd party docks were bricking systems after the 5.0 update (my switch is already 8.1.0 so I dont think it'll be a problem, I'm not sure). I haven't seen any recent reports of this, but I rather be safe than sorry.

Works good and us shipped

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273519639003

Overwrite_Pixel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure to do your research on docks, the docks that are frying systems are the ones that are USB C compliant which the switch is not and from what I've read causes bridging of hot pins resulting in high voltages going where they don't belong.

Interesting... I'll have to look into that.

(Edit, deleted the rest of this original post, I was going to ask something but a quick Google search answered my question.)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

No no. The Switch and dock are not USB-C compliant, but according to tests done by the guy at Google that tests all sorts of USB-C devices for safety, they should still be safe to use with USB-C compliant devices. Problems arise when the dock (or charger) is not USB-C compliant nor does it behave the same way as the official dock, which results in unpredictable behavior.

If you are after a portable dock the one Shadow linked is simply a case that you put your original dock guts into so it works just like the original.
But if you need a second dock or you lost/broke your original one, don't get a 3rd party dock in order to save money, as the cheap ones are all trash quality.

I have a JumpGate: https://skullnco.com/collections/switch-gripcase/products/jumpgate-for-nintendo-switch
I can't 100% vouch for its safety, but they have made sure that it's USB-C compliant and have done plenty of testing beforehand to make sure it wouldn't brick their test system. And it has been out for a while with no reported bricks that I've seen. They've also said they'll pay for a replacement if anyone does brick their Switch from using it.

They also sell a USB-C charger on there that can provide the 15V the Switch needs, which most of them don't (15V is standard with USB-PD >= 2.0 but not USB-PD 1.0 which from what I've heard is what the Switch uses), and is supposed to be high quality.

The problem is you don't save all that much compared to just buying an original dock and charger. Quality components cost money. The primary appeal is having a (to many) superior dock design, or having a portable dock for travel. And while you can get cheap docks and chargers that will work, it's not worth risking your $300 Switch over.

Overwrite_Pixel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No no. The Switch and dock are not USB-C compliant, but according to tests done by the guy at Google that tests all sorts of USB-C devices for safety, they should still be safe to use with USB-C compliant devices. Problems arise when the dock (or charger) is not USB-C compliant nor does it behave the same way as the official dock, which results in unpredictable behavior.

If you are after a portable dock the one Shadow linked is simply a case that you put your original dock guts into so it works just like the original.
But if you need a second dock or you lost/broke your original one, don't get a 3rd party dock in order to save money, as the cheap ones are all trash quality.

I have a JumpGate: https://skullnco.com/collections/switch-gripcase/products/jumpgate-for-nintendo-switch
I can't 100% vouch for its safety, but they have made sure that it's USB-C compliant and have done plenty of testing beforehand to make sure it wouldn't brick their test system. And it has been out for a while with no reported bricks that I've seen. They've also said they'll pay for a replacement if anyone does brick their Switch from using it.

They also sell a USB-C charger on there that can provide the 15V the Switch needs, which most of them don't (15V is standard with USB-PD >= 2.0 but not USB-PD 1.0 which from what I've heard is what the Switch uses), and is supposed to be high quality.

The problem is you don't save all that much compared to just buying an original dock and charger. Quality components cost money. The primary appeal is having a (to many) superior dock design, or having a portable dock for travel. And while you can get cheap docks and chargers that will work, it's not worth risking your $300 Switch over.

Googled it, two reddit users said that their switch was bricked using it.

And honestly, I was just trying to get something that was cheap only because I don't have the money to dish out for something that costs 50+ dollars. I got my switch used so it didn't come with one, and I was hoping a cheap alternative would fill that gap.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And honestly, I was just trying to get something that was cheap only because I don't have the money to dish out for something that costs 50+ dollars. I got my switch used so it didn't come with one, and I was hoping a cheap alternative would fill that gap.

But if the risk is really that high, I'll make some careful considerations and decide whether I want to risk it or just wait until Black Friday and hope they have something.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use an original dock along with case @Shadow#1 linked , you don't want to deal with any third party dock because if the dock supply the wrong voltage the switch is asking for you brick your unit, people been having problem with the Jumpgate dock, don't waste your money on it.

Last edited by Hayato213,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But if the risk is really that high, I'll make some careful considerations and decide whether I want to risk it or just wait until Black Friday and hope they have something.
There was one guy I saw that said they bricked with the Jumpgate and he later came back to say that it wasn't bricked after all. Haven't seen anyone else. Got links to those two users?
If they are legitimate bricks it would suck cause I really like the Jumpgate and I want to keep using it.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1