Safe To Backup Enitre SD Card Drag And Drop?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Demonchld, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Demonchld
    OP

Demonchld Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2013
    United States
    Is this safe to do? I bought Pokémon Y From eShop and I Guess u can not save backup so I have been doing this is it ok? Say I crash and I need to restore can I Drag and drop the whole SD card back onto the SD Card and it will load fine in the 3DS?

I'm doing this cause I don't wanna have some error and lost my save game and as u know u can log several hours into this game and it would suck ass to turn on the game to a corrupted save file.

This would be the same 3DS not a different one

Thanks

2. Arnold0

Arnold0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 1, 2011
    France
    Vire, France
    It wont work (Unless you backup you save into your computer each time you save). Copy/Pasting the entire SD card to another one is working, but you can load your save, only if it's the last save you did (Nintendo did that so guys can't take an older save to clone things)

3. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Well, as I have understood this, it's not necessary to back up your Pokemon X/Y save because there's an actual backup stored on the internal NAND of the 3DS. You can, however back up everything on your SD, but as the other user said, for this specific game, the only thing that won't work is restoring a previous save.

4. Demonchld
    OP

Demonchld Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2013
    United States
    So where is the save file at then? if its not on the SD card how would I back it up?

better safe then sorry thanks

I have been backing up my whole SD card then drop boxing it every night before bed.

so if it crashed and I copied my SD card back to the 3DS from the backup the game will be there but the save file would be gone?

5. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    You would have to a NAND dump of the 3DS, in that case.

6. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    I have this problem that people for some reason can't get what I say :(

Look, this particular game saves the in game progress in two different locations, the first one is in the SD card and the second one is on the NAND memory of the 3DS. This was done for security purposes (corruption of save files) and also to avoid hacking, cloning Pokemon or whatever you could do by having multiple save files.

tatripp likes this.
  7. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    kyogre123: Do they not allow you to backup the save file of Pokemon like other games?

8. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
  9. Demonchld
    OP

Demonchld Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2013
    United States
    wow thanks for that info I fully understand now.

and that is some BS so if I Update and it fucks up and the Nand get erased bye bye Pokemon file -_- that really sucks and they need to make someway for us to backup are saves hell even if its online only and thru 1 3ds only that would prevent hacking to but damn I Guess I am SOL if my 3DS decides to say fuck off -_-

thx

10. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Well, that is kind of extremist but I guess if that happens, and you send your 3DS for repair I think Nintendo could restore your progress if the save file on the SD is OK.

11. Demonchld
    OP

Demonchld Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2013
    United States
    lol I didn't mean it that way I mean if one day I were to turn on my 3DS go to play pokemon and it were to say game corrupted or something like that and force me to redownload the game I would lose my progress correct.

2 if I start the game it open fine go to select my save game and it says "save file corrupted" I would also lose my progress correct?

that's what I am trying to avoid I guess there is no way around this then. I mean I can understand why they do this being that I could just share my save file with the whole world to download. but correct me if im wrong isn't each game and save file tied to 1 system anyway?

12. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

Well, that's why the system tells you to make sure that it is plugged in and/or that it has a fully charged battery before it updates.

Not to mention that if that scenario happens you're going to have bigger problems than losing your Pokemon save.

13. Saturosias

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Pokémon has anti-save restore like Animal Crossing, you'd only be able to restore the game, not the save (I think?).