Sad, unfinished port of an ELF loader.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by MrRean, Feb 6, 2016.

1. MrRean
    OP

MrRean WiiU Helper / Hacker

Jan 21, 2013
    United States
    so like, there's a elf loader for 5.3.2 on the libwiiu repo that works fine, so i attempted to port it to 5.5.1 and it's a pain in my rear so

https://github.com/MrRean/551-Elf-Loader

do whatever you want with it. it's very broken, it doesn't even work yet. i tried to keep 5.3.2 from breaking so im not even sure that works.

but here you guys go, it's not working at all but im putting it out there for other 5.5.1 people to finish it if they want, and they at least have a base to work on.

derp

credits are on the github repo

Last edited by MrRean, Feb 6, 2016
    SrTommy, Blundermann, CeeDee and 18 others like this.
  2. Phantom64

Phantom64 Banned

Banned
    Aug 18, 2015
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    What is this

3. Voxel

Voxel u wot

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    It loads ELFs. ;)

4. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Does it work with DWARFs??

Anyways, thanks MrRean, even though you gave up you did atleast something. ;)
    Seems like 5.5 and 5.5.1 homebrew is still far away.

CeeDee, ScarletDreamz and Voxel like this.
  5. Voxel

Voxel u wot

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Ah yes, I forgot; where are my manners? :P

Thanks for this MrRean! I'm sure this can be improved upon and maybe even turned into something really good! ;)

6. josamilu

josamilu GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Saturn is better than Jupiter :P
    My ported elf loader for 5.5.1 doesn't work either. I did some trial and error and found the problem at curl (It doesn't want to download the .elf file). Sadly I don't know how to fix it. However nice to see someone who also whats to port it :D

7. dibas

dibas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2008
    Bahamas, The
    KiiWii and josamilu like this.
  8. Se7ensinsMods

Se7ensinsMods Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    American Muscle
    I have elfloader loaded on 551 but stupid elf examples can't build cause of error makefile *makefile build cannot be create*. I get build folder with nothing in it (aka boot.elf). Am I missing something.

Last edited by Se7ensinsMods, Feb 8, 2016
  9. josamilu

josamilu GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Take mine, I have builded the example correctly. Would be awesome if it works. http://josamilu.de/wiiu/boot.elf

10. Phantom64

Phantom64 Banned

Banned
    Aug 18, 2015
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    What's this thread about, and what is an ".elf" file?

11. MrRean
    OP

Jan 21, 2013
    United States
    I committed a possible fix. Redownload the github branch and try again.

davetheshrew and KiiWii like this.
  12. josamilu

josamilu GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I am not at home rigth now, and won't be able to test it until friday. Would be nice if someone other can do it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

A Format for executeable files. Look here for further information : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Executable_and_Linkable_Format&redirect=no

13. davetheshrew

davetheshrew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2016
    Excellent! I have a friend with an engineering degree I want to show this to right now :)

emuman100 and yuyuyup like this.
  14. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I will gladly look at this when I finish the program I am working on. I want this too. :D

15. davetheshrew

Jan 2, 2016
    Such a shame everyone is spunking allover smeas work that wont be released when we have the potential of getting a working ELF loader that has code released. I have a friend looking at it but he has never touched a wiiu in his life, however he is very gifted, I hope he can help better than I can. He is checking out wiubrew and stuff to help him before he starts, something every member on here can do.

yuyuyup, canariobr and brienj like this.
  16. brienj

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, I am working on some programs, hoping it will show there is interest in homebrew on the Wii U. From everything I've seen, smea won't ever release what he has, I am just trying to hopefully show Hykem though, that there is indeed some individuals hungry to do some coding on the Wii U. In the meantime, I've been tinkering around, looking for entry-points on my own, and if I find anything, I won't hesitate two seconds to release it. If Nintendo patches it, they patch it, it's easy to keep from getting updated.

17. davetheshrew

Jan 2, 2016
    Im learning basic java and c, Im not very good, however I do lots and lots of hardware mods and Im lucky my best friend is 3rd year masters in engineering so have someone to learn off, with hardware Ive done nand mods on ps3 using teensy, fully rebuilt a nintendo M82 demo system and outfitted with a custom ASIC etc. I hope as I improve with java and c that I can start contributing to this scene and whatever scene comes next. Hykem as good as he is and as nice a guy he is made the mistake of saying he was sure of release before febuary which ruffled a few desperate feathers, Im sure he knows there are a few learning, reading his excellent documentation (and yellow8's new stuff is mega interesting btw) between all the shitposts and whiners.

Mrrean is awesome for providing this. Thanks dude.

Last edited by davetheshrew, Feb 9, 2016
    Techn0 likes this.
  18. brienj

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I've been programming for over 30 years. ASM, C, C++, C#, Java, and Python are just a sampling of what I've used. I also cracked a lot of the original Xbox and Xbox 360 stuff. The Wii U is PPC like the 360, so that kind of got me interested in looking at it, and also the fact my kids wanted one. LOL

My kids have been messing around with the program I'm writing right now. I keep adding a little more and a little more, but it is still within the limit, so I'll keep adding what I can. I developed a little library for drawing simple shapes with limited memory use, and hope to have a whole alphabet eventually made with it. I was not happy with printing strings in rows and columns, now I can print exactly where needed.

Edit: Well, I just found out what I was trying to add put me over the memory limit, so I scrapped that idea for now. I'll just keep adding the few things I need to add, then have it finished. BTW, I thought the limit was 32k, my bin file was at 24k when it failed. I removed the extra library and it is back down to 19k and works again.

Last edited by brienj, Feb 9, 2016
  19. Se7ensinsMods

Se7ensinsMods Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    American Muscle
  20. MrRean
    OP

Jan 21, 2013
    United States
    Code:
    if(leaddr == (char*)0)
         OSFatal("leaddr fails");
    means it's empty.

Name your PHP file in the folder "payload.php" and put the elf in that directory. (what you get from compiling elfexamples)