S/UNEEK mod with save files directly directed to real NAND?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by WiiUBricker, Jan 15, 2011.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    In the past playing games with SNEEK/UNEEK was never an option for me. All I did with SNEEk was playing around with builds, test some stuff etc.
    Since everone is so hyped about game launching on an emulated NAND without the requirement of any patched IOS, I decided to give it a try, but the thing that I dislike is the emulated NAND being the only place save files are stored in. I understand that it isnt a big deal for perhaps the majority of the peeps here, but I really dont want my saves to be stored on an emulated NAND and especially dont want to depend on savegame managers. The reason is, external devices can corrupt somehow caused by perhaps a faulty SNEEK rev, broken pin of a SD card or if the SD card is being used for homebrew by perhabs some faulty homebrew applications.

So I'm asking if there is a chance for a SNEEK modification that will let you save your save files directly to real NAND. Maybe a simple modification of lines in the source code of SNEEK is sufficient? Thanks to anyone who wants to help.

2. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    I saw you ask this in another topic and was going to answer, but I'm not the best person for this.

I've done a LOT with saves over the years and have tested almost every nand emu from day 1. The simple answer is no. It can be done, but it would need one of the TOP devs to redo a LOT within either SNEEK, or the cIOS etc and wouldn't offer any real benefit so I am 99% sure it wont be done.

Options are good imho though, so you can try your best to keep the idea alive, speak to a GOOD dev that is working with one of the methods and maybe one day you will see it happen. As far as I know it's not very easy and the risks of corrupting the real nand are too high also.

Worrying about corrupt HDD/SD is one thing, but for something bad to happen to the real nand is disaster.

My opinion is to make copies say once a week/month and talk to some devs. If you offer them some way of helping them reduce the time they spend on current projects then perhaps they would reinvest that time helping you, thus making a win-win situation.

Don't hold your breath on this. Most people would rather see other bugs ironed out, and in relation to saves they would rather have them saved to a removable media.

It would be handy for my daughters Harry Potter : blah blah files though and maybe 1 or 2 other games that can't be stored currently through emulation to a windows FS.

Good luck, you will need it.

3. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina
    Thanks for your helpful answer. Well I have no clue which dev might be willing to look at this. I guess crediar and the SNEEK contributors wont do it. Oh well, I have a USB gecko and I'm willing to assist any dev who spot this topic. So feel free to PM me.

4. SanGor

Member SanGor Witchhunter

United States
    in SNEEK the driver that accesses the NAND is completly replaced, so such a modification would be an insane amount of work.

What do you actually want?
    Run games (VC/WW) from SD but save to NAND? - If yes nintendo does that for you already!

5. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina
    Well I pretty much explained in the initial post what I want.