S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 announced again after 2012 cancellation

stalker-2-05-15-18-1.jpg

Announced back in 2010, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, a sequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R., a survival-horror game, was announced for PC, and later cancelled in 2012 after troubled development. Now, 6 years later, developer GSC Game World has re-announced that the game is back in development, and will release in 2021. According to Epic Games' employee Sergey Galyonkin, the game will be utlizing Epic's Unreal Engine 4. No platforms were announced at this time.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
FUCK yes, dissapointed on the engine choice due to how unmoddable it will be, but otherwise, im really happy

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Finally we can expect yet another amazing game coming in the next 3 years. All the previous S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games were great and if they stick to the formula they already perfected rather than just go for the "open world sandbox" aspect of it, it's sure to be great!

FUCK yes, dissapointed on the engine choice due to how unmoddable it will be, but otherwise, im really happy
What are you even talking about? If anything, UE4 is BY FAR the easiest engine to mod games on and the games made with it are specifically modified to allow almost complete control for the mods. Do some research and you will see what I'm talking about. Epic Games Launcher (basically UE4) offers literally all the tools you need, plus assets to modify and inject, code editing and tons of other utilities for ALL games made with UE4. My only issue with the engine choice isn't modding, it's that the textures will unfortunately have to be different, as UE4 is a relatively bad choice for dimmly-lit environments with saturated colors (it's incredibly good for bright stuff, but that won't fit the game well).

Reactions: ShroomKing

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm pretty sure the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game they're working on now isn't going to look like a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game either. It will look like a UE4 game, because they all do...
to be fair, even iD tech 6 games look like unreal engine games :P

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Finally we can expect yet another amazing game coming in the next 3 years. All the previous S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games were great and if they stick to the formula they already perfected rather than just go for the "open world sandbox" aspect of it, it's sure to be great!

What are you even talking about? If anything, UE4 is BY FAR the easiest engine to mod games on and the games made with it are specifically modified to allow almost complete control for the mods. Do some research and you will see what I'm talking about. Epic Games Launcher (basically UE4) offers literally all the tools you need, plus assets to modify and inject, code editing and tons of other utilities for ALL games made with UE4. My only issue with the engine choice isn't modding, it's that the textures will unfortunately have to be different, as UE4 is a relatively bad choice for dimmly-lit environments with saturated colors (it's incredibly good for bright stuff, but that won't fit the game well).
just because something has accesible tools and is well documented it doesnt mean its easy to mod, you can technically mod the shit out of serious sam, its a very moddable engine, but the recent versions of the engine are quite complex and are hard to understand unless you spend a ton of time reading documentation, same applies to UE4 tenfold.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UE4 4 me is nice, however on open world games I have had not much luck with it... It just has bad DX12 support, no Vulkan however they have it 4 mobile which is a joke in not adding good support when it first appeared 4 windows instead...

The most realistic games I liked were all unreal engine, but, SQUAD runs like dog shit it eats all CPUs and kills even a GTX1080 easily even at 1080P while not even showing that good graphics, I know its a indie game, but I just had not much luck with any massive UE4 MP game or open world.

I wish is that EA's Frostbite was open source, they have such nice performance, I even wonder how realistic mods like Project Reality (from the makers of SQUAD) on the BF2 or forgotten hope 2 on latest frostbite would look so amazing.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
just because something has accesible tools and is well documented it doesnt mean its easy to mod, you can technically mod the shit out of serious sam, its a very moddable engine, but the recent versions of the engine are quite complex and are hard to understand unless you spend a ton of time reading documentation, same applies to UE4 tenfold.
It LITERALLY took me 25 mins to learn enough to mod UE4 games to a major degree, whereas Serious Engine V2 (Serious Sam 2) took me almost a week to learn. Also, just modding is a JOKE if you have prior experience with the engine and most modders (on PC at least) do know UE4 fairly well. It's not as hard as you seem to think and on UE4 you can learn to make a game from scratch within a day (and not a crappy one, a decent 3rd/1st person shooter for example) if you simply check out the documentation (not even that really, watch the 5 video guides and do the engine tour on startup and that's all you need).:P

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It LITERALLY took me 25 mins to learn enough to mod UE4 games to a major degree, whereas Serious Engine V2 (Serious Sam 2) took me almost a week to learn. Also, just modding is a JOKE if you have prior experience with the engine and most modders (on PC at least) do know UE4 fairly well. It's not as hard as you seem to think and on UE4 you can learn to make a game from scratch within a day (and not a crappy one, a decent 3rd/1st person shooter for example) if you simply check out the documentation (not even that really, watch the 5 video guides and do the engine tour on startup and that's all you need).:P
show me one first person shooter with an active modding community made on UE4, by active i mean active as the xray engine modding community

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
show me one first person shooter with an active modding community made on UE4, by active i mean active as the xray engine modding community
As I said, load up Epic Games Launcher and you can get a fair amount of example games that allow modding:
upload_2018-5-16_4-43-41.png

All games listed (even the ones at the top, excluding Fortnite) have active modding communities, are easy to mod, have all tools and assets available for modding and so on! By the way, these are simply the most popular ones, there are dozen others that allow modding and have large communities behind them.

Also, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. despite being called an FPS it's actually more of a 3rd person shooter, aka easier to mod.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
As I said, load up Epic Games Launcher and you can get a fair amount of example games that allow modding:
View attachment 123625
All games listed (even the ones at the top, excluding Fortnite) have active modding communities, are easy to mod, have all tools and assets available for modding and so on! By the way, these are simply the most popular ones, there are dozen others that allow modding and have large communities behind them.

Also, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. despite being called an FPS it's actually more of a 3rd person shooter, aka easier to mod.
literally all of those dont have an active modding community, again, just because something is moddable it doesnt mean it gets modded.

besides, STALKER is a TPS? what? HOW? its mostly first person the whole way through unless you use cheats

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
literally all of those dont have an active modding community, again, just because something is moddable it doesnt mean it gets modded.

besides, STALKER is a TPS? what? HOW? its mostly first person the whole way through unless you use cheats
It belongs to the same category as the other game you mentioned (Serious Sam) in that it's an FPS that can swap to 3rd person anytime you want just by pressing a button and, let's be honest, for crowd control the 3rd person camera is very useful (lets you see more). I did word it weirdly, I admit that, didn't mean that it's not an FPS, just it's not JUST an FPS.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It belongs to the same category as the other game you mentioned (Serious Sam) in that it's an FPS that can swap to 3rd person anytime you want just by pressing a button and, let's be honest, for crowd control the 3rd person camera is very useful (lets you see more). I did word it weirdly, I admit that, didn't mean that it's not an FPS, just it's not JUST an FPS.
the third person camera was only accesible through cheats on clear sky and CoP, devs forgot to remove it in SoC, that doesnt mean its a TPS :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person