Gaming S/M Australian Cartridge on EU 3DS

randomt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I'll be in the land down under during the worldwide release of S/M and it made me realize:

Australia and the EU share the PAL region-lock for 3DS games, don't they? Couldn't I, unfortunate EU person, just buy my cartridge there on the 18th instead of returning to the EU on the 20th and waiting 3 more days?

Wouldn't this also mean that Australians could leak the game "early" for Europeans? I know that probably somebody will leak an US region-locked version that will be rendered region-free (or people will just use HANS). But isn't it kind of "dangerous" to play online with a game that is from a region that shouldn't be playable on your device? Are there any previous bans recorded for such incidents ?

Thanks!

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fairly certain that EU games work on AU 3DS and vice versa, they're both PAL, while US is NTSC-US and JP is NTSC-J

Last edited by fodder,
Reactions: randomt

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, just buy your physical copy (wherever you are now) and you're be able to play it on your PAL region 3DS. It's a region-free game, so it contains multilanguage, too. There aren't any bans reported, and I don't think that there ever would.

Reactions: randomt

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The carts aren't, are they? Isn't that why you needed a JP 3DS & JP copy of the game for CyberSaveEditor or whatever it was called when that was the only option to truly edit saves? I know the digital copies are

I'm probably misinformed

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The carts aren't, are they? Isn't that why you needed a JP 3DS & JP copy of the game for CyberSaveEditor or whatever it was called when that was the only option to truly edit saves? I know the digital copies are
That wasn't meant like that. Sure, you still need a japanese 3DS for the japanese physical copy. But it's still playable in multi languages. But you can now emulate your region with Luma3DS, so you don't have to worry about those cartridges anymore.

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That wasn't meant like that. Sure, you still need a japanese 3DS for the japanese physical copy. But it's still playable in multi languages. But you can now emulate your region with Luma3DS, so you don't have to worry about those cartridges anymore.
Oh yeah I know it has multiple languages, but that doesn't mean it's region free. And I know you can emulate your region but not everyone has a CFW 3DS and it's probably not a good idea to assume so in case someone reads this down the line without a CFW decides to pick up an out of region copy.

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah I know it has multiple languages, but that doesn't mean it's region free. And I know you can emulate your region but not everyone has a CFW 3DS and it's probably not a good idea to assume so in case someone reads this down the line without a CFW decides to pick up an out of region copy.
He was literally asking about the australian cartridge and this one works well in a non-customized 3DS x)

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was literally asking about the australian cartridge and this one works well in a non-customized 3DS x)
It was worded in a way that made me think that he was asking if there was a PAL/NTSC region lock as opposed to it being just specifically region locked between EU/AU but I gotcha

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was worded in a way that made me think that he was asking if there was a PAL/NTSC region lock as opposed to it being just specifically region locked between EU/AU but I gotcha
But you're right. Region lock still exist in Nintendo consoles, sadly. To clear everyone up, who read this thread: You can't buy a US/JP version of this copy and play it with a EU console, for example without a custom firmware.

Reactions: fodder

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, the main series is region-free since XY.
I know you're technically correct (at least with the digital copies), but actually, the only games in the main series that are region-locked are Black/White and Black2/White2 (and only when played in DSi mode) :P

Last edited by YayMii,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1