Ryujinx no longer supported on Windows versions prior to Windows 10

photo_2022-04-26_21-48-12.jpg

Popular Nintendo Switch emulator Ryujinx will no longer be supported on versions of Windows older than Windows 10. On their official Twitter page, the development team made the announcement, citing the reason as the age of the operating systems, noting that graphics driver updates have ended and that workarounds have already been necessary to keep the emulator running on Windows 7 up to this point. They also recommend that users who are not comfortable upgrading to Windows 10 simply install Linux.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Installing it isn't the complicated part. Finding anything worth installing afterwards is.
This might sound kind of ironic, but at least in my case I always had a hard time finding something worth installing on Windows, with Linux it was a completely different story thanks to the many different alternatives it offers for software distribution.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, even with WINE, CrossOver, Bottles, PlayOnLinux, Lutris, SteamOnLinux, VirtualBox, QEMU, KVM, XEN, VMWare, etc. And I'm only partially being sarcastic. Even with all of those options, it legit can still be a bit of a chore, just not too much of one depending on how you look at it.
A good number of those are virtual machines and should run just about anything. Except for crap like Valorant that has incredibly invasive DRM.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
more people than 8 and 10. way more. and no, im using windows 10 for years, and i can run any program windows 7 run (i have one win 7 installed in other internal hdd in dual with with linux mint). that said, i like to test from time to time how programs run on 7 compared to 10 and (at least from the emulators standpoint,) cant see any difference that justifies stay in 7, to me honest. ps: my 10 is debloated
Same here... I have 3x different PC rigs that I run here and there, and they all can multiboot from macOS to Windows 10. However, one of my rigs can also boot into Windows 7, but the activation on it got fvcked up somehow and I don't feel like trying to fix it, smh.

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, I keep reading that this emu is better than Yuzu, is it true?
Depends on the game, I had a good experience with Ryujinx and was surprised to see it hold up so well against it's competitor which makes over 10x more money on Patreon.
Also it supports online play for some games like Pokemon which is pretty neat.

Gronbar

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Poland
People scared of Microsoft collecting their data but they carry smartphones that collect their localisation, what they are talking and then let's post hundreds of photos to social media or dickpicks 24/7, funny.
Live under rock and you will be safe.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They also recommend that users who are not comfortable upgrading to Windows 10 simply install Linux.
What the hell? Is this satire? This is anything but simple. Telling a Windows user to install Linux is akin to a "fuck you". If someone doesn't want to move up from Windows 7 to Windows 10, they're sure as hell not going to want to install an entirely different OS.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Installing it isn't the complicated part. Finding anything worth installing afterwards is.
What does that even mean? That implies that it's complicated for every other operating system, too. Or are you one of these gigabrains who came out of the womb with an expansive knowledge of nothing but Windows software? I ask, because I'm pretty sure that has to be found through Google, too. Ah, but yes, I forgot. Google can only be used on Linux with Lynx in a terminal that you yourself wrote in Rust along with your custom microkernel.

What the hell? Is this satire? This is anything but simple. Telling a Windows user to install Linux is akin to a "fuck you". If someone doesn't want to move up from Windows 7 to Windows 10, they're sure as hell not going to want to install an entirely different OS.
It's not a developer's fault when users choose to stay on a deprecated operating system because they're too much of a ludite to learn something new. This always has and always will happen with technology. The really stupid thing in this scenario is that there are still people who willingly put themselves and their information in danger by remaining on Windows 7. The reality is that Windows sucks now, and if you don't want 10 or 11, you're either gonna need to shell out for a Mac, or learn how to click "Next" a bunch like all the other Linux gurus who seem to have no problem installing it.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So, I keep reading that this emu is better than Yuzu, is it true?
In terms of accuracy is way better than Yuzu.
Yuzu seems to not care that much about emulation accuracy if their solution gives better performance without drawbacks in games. That's why many homebrews are not working properly on yuzu and RyujinX is recommended if you prefer emulator to use for debugging. Ofc RyujinX is also not ideal, so it can still produce different result than what Switch itself will produce.

For example vita2hos is tested mainly on RyujinX instead of Yuzu, then final touches are done on real hardware

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Proton more than simplified a lot of this. Virtualbox/QEMU/KVM/etc. and all that are a non-issue for most users. Lutris is also simple enough, as long as the install scripts are current. The hardest part is learning to understand how the installs work so that making relevant changes don't bork it.

Granted, to someone new to Linux, it can be overwhelming. I think the most challenging part is finding a friendly community that will help with your troubleshooting.
wine by itself is kind of a pain in the ass tho
(but then again, i haven't used wine in forever, mainly because on linux i try my absolute hardest to use nothing but FOSS)

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
wine by itself is kind of a pain in the ass tho
(but then again, i haven't used wine in forever, mainly because on linux i try my absolute hardest to use nothing but FOSS)
It is, yeah. That's why you use apps like Lutris and Bottles. The process has become far less complicated than it was 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I am not able to strictly go FOSS as there's no alternative to MS Access that works well enough.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That's overly dramatic. A lot of the complaints about 10 are exactly why people should consider Linux. It's not without flaws, but it's an option.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
There are couple of reasons why they are not supporting anything older than Windows 10
One of them is memory aliasing which is necessary for accurate memory managment and implementation of other things in the future, for the SSBU skyline mod manager, ,NET not supporting older versions of Windows and GPU drivers stopped being delivered for Windows 7. Latest AMD driver for the RX 6900XT was last year in May and AMDs drivers are messy with Switch emulation in general so being outdated will probably cause more graphical issues in games. I guess Yuzu is fine for now but i wouldnt be surprised if in the future W7 gets dropped too. Also if you're using Windows 7 your PC is probably too weak to emulate Switch games. Majority is using Windows 10 so supporting it for the 1% while making newer OS suffer because of it doesnt sound like a good thing to me.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
nothing is more sweet than the tears of windows users

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, it isn't any more difficult or complicated than installing Windows.
In fact easier. The only case where Windows is easier is to install is when it's already installed on a PC you buy. Any time you actually need to manually install an OS, most linux distros are significantly easier to install than windows.

AsPika2219

Pikachu going beach!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Sayonara old version.... Look likes everyone of you must have Windows 10 or later... Collect money and buy new PC!
I already have new PC since 2020 and running Windows 10 21H2 right now. Can support Windows 11 but it refuse it.
Need more money to buy larger hard disk as well upgrade RAM, CPU etc for more speedy!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: