tv1mdb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
EDIT: look at reply #14

I'm on 9.0.0.20, I already had rxtools 2.6 installed.

I just did my first installation of the homebrew launcher, but after that rxtools is giving a black screen every time I try to launch it.
Tried to reinstall various versions of rxtools (2.6, 3.0, latest nighlty), but I still get the black screen every time i launch it.

My sd folder structure/files:

967GOOp.png

EDIT: Black screen happens if I start it either via the homebrew launcher or the web exploit at startup.

Last edited by tv1mdb,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Olds or New? (I assume old because of the 2.6 usage.)

Your file structure suggests you are using menuhax and a bootmanager. Is the boot manager setup to autoboot into rxTools? Also, are your nands linked?

Edit:

Just saw your edit. If your boot manager is set up autoboot rxtools then that is your problem. Whether you use the hbl.cia or the browser method (or any other *hax) it will always load boot.3dsx, which in your case is your bootmanager. So what is happening is you turn on the console, it loads your bootmanager which loads rxtools and emunand. Then you try to launch the HBL again and it loads boot.3dsx (your bootmanager), which then tries to automatically launch rxtools. Since you are inside emunand this fails with a blackscreen.

You will either have to edit your boot config to allow you to pick what to launch (and sacrifice autoboot) or set a "recovery" key in the config and remember to always press it when you launch HBL from emunand.

Last edited by Aroth,

_Pro_Man_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Your file structure suggests you are using menuhax and a bootmanager. Is the boot manager setup to autoboot into rxTools? Also, are your nands linked?
Yeah, I had a similar problem on my 2nd 3ds with linked nands and autobooting into RxTools. By formating sysnand, this separated the two nands, and stopped the problem. Never had this problem when I updated from 4.5->9.2 on my main 3ds because the nands were already seperated.

tv1mdb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Old indeed.
The bootmanager was a possible solution for this problem to someone on reddit, but for me it did not help.
The nand was linked, but after reading another thread I tried to unlink them, but the problem persists.

While I would like to fix the problem and get my emunand back, I'm open to just format the sd and start from the beginning, but I have no clue if it is a good idea.

tv1mdb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Out of curiosity, what version is your emunand?
No clue, the last update i did was ages ago and since I can't access it I have no way to know (unless there's a way with the filenames or something).

As a last resort, is a complete format of the sd and starting anew be a possibility or there's any risk?

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No clue, the last update i did was ages ago and since I can't access it I have no way to know (unless there's a way with the filenames or something).

As a last resort, is a complete format of the sd and starting anew be a possibility or there's any risk?

Maybe, but first try deleting ALL homebrew related stuff from your sd card and redownloading the starter pack and copy those files to your sd.

Then use whatever method you normally used to access rxtools before. I suspect your problem is related to the hbl.cia overwriting the payload you needed to launch rxtools.

tv1mdb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Deleted everything*, added the starter pack again (not installed), started rxtools with browser, blackscreen.
Installed HBL (change theme, browserhax, menuhax in this order), reboot.
Starting it via browser in sysnand (like I always did) or via HBL (by adding rxtools.3dsx/smdh from "\ninjhax\rxTools" to folder "3ds"), black screen in both instances.

EDIT:*everything from HBL

Last edited by tv1mdb,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deleted everything*, added the starter pack again (not installed), started rxtools with browser, blackscreen.
Installed HBL (change theme, browserhax, menuhax in this order), reboot.
Starting it via browser in sysnand (like I always did) or via HBL (by adding rxtools.3dsx/smdh from "\ninjhax\rxTools" to folder "3ds"), black screen in both instances.

EDIT:*everything from HBL

At this point my only suggestion is to try injecting your most resent emunand backup if you have one, otherwise you may have to just bite the bullet and reformat emunand and start over.

tv1mdb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't have one. Oh well, at the end I only had my FE:A save on it , and since it was on easy, I'm more than happy to start over at a greater difficulty.
Thanks for your help.

tv1mdb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you found this thread via google and have/had the same problem read this:

So, I formatted the sd, started anew and did everything, but I still had the black screen.
Found out (at least this time) it was a mixture of various things: something wrong over at the rxtools folder, linked nands, menuhax copied over to emunand (due to unlinked nand).
First thing I did was add the firmware.bin (IMPORTANT md5: A9DCD99A360E8629810F8ED08403D746) in "Rxtools/sys".
Kept pressing R during rxtools startup (or whatever method for not starting menuhax you have chosen), it took me a few tries.
Changed theme on emunand.
Unlinked nands.
Installed Menuhax again.

And they lived happily ever after.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: you could say it fell out.