Hacking rw-r-r-0644 found a boot1 coldboot exploit for the Wii U

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
So rw-r-r-0644 found a boot1 coldboot exploit for the Wii U. Hopefully this will lead to a coldboot executable with out needing to buy a DS game. so once the eShop does go down we will be still have homebrew one way or another.

Upon startup, boot1 loads and processes the latest SLC ISFS superblock. Directory entries are parsed using a recursive function without any limitation on recursion depth. A carefully crafted superblock with a sufficient directory depth can be used to overwrite memory preceding the boot1 stack and eventually gain arbitrary code execution. For example, it is possible to redirect FLA's FS device structure pointer to the superblock area, allowing an attacker to point structure's functions to a controlled memory location.

https://wiiubrew.org/w/index.php?title=Wii_U_System_Flaws&curid=564&diff=2993&oldid=2955

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So rw-r-r-0644 found a boot1 coldboot exploit for the Wii U. Hopefully this will lead to a coldboot executable with out needing to buy a DS game. so once the eShop does go down we will be still have homebrew one way or another.

https://wiiubrew.org/w/index.php?title=Wii_U_System_Flaws&curid=564&diff=2993&oldid=2955

https://twitter.com/hexkyz/status/1380934706661748737

Thank you for this awesome News.
(Where are these "The Wii U is dead..." Guys now....? :rolleyes:)

And/Plus:

With Maschell´s new Aroma Homebrew Enviroment we also do not need a DS Game to buy for Coldboot.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I already paid for the DS game so. . .

so what. what was that $7? I paid $60 for true blue on the ps3, just to play a handful of new games. and, this is supposedly from the same people who brought us sx os. I'm damn glad they're being prosecuted, damn leechers on the scene.

Reactions: Lightyose

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
im not sure how they would implement this without a hack already installed, theres no serial port of any kind on the wiiu other than i think the IR sensor port maybe? (im sure i read the wiis sensor port could do some things) and i dont think you can load any data off the SD card so early in the chain

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might have an excuse to plug my Wii U! It's been hacked, for 3 years now, but I haven't even looked at it since hacking it.

I play my wii u daily. I'm currently testing the dark mode theme by default. I just got done playing it in fact. I didn't sleep last night, so I'm a bit agitated and hyper sensitive, so bear with me. I hope to go to sleep early tonight.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I play my wii u daily. I'm currently testing the dark mode theme by default. I just got done playing it in fact. I didn't sleep last night, so I'm a bit agitated and hyper sensitive, so bear with me. I hope to go to sleep early tonight.
I did for a short period until my external hard drive failed and I just kind of lost momentum after that. Hacks like these are the kinds of hacks that really motivate my interest in the community.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U? Boot1? Huh?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I just keep it plugged in, like my Wii

same. I have my wii plugged in. the only difference is I no longer play the wii, but it's still plugged in. ;)

I did for a short period until my external hard drive failed and I just kind of lost momentum after that. Hacks like these are the kinds of hacks that really motivate my interest in the community.

same for me with every system but the wii u. on almost every system, including the ps4, I don't play the games. I find more interest in the hacks.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
same. I have my wii plugged in. the only difference is I no longer play the wii, but it's still plugged in. ;)
I still boot it up from time to tie to check my WiiMail and the channels, (nintendo, news, weather, etc,.) but there isn't much new stuff yet...)

I always played the games, mostly. Plus back when I was 7 I thought that homebrew meant physically and
permanently
modding the console, cause I was dumb

I always played the games, mostly. Plus back when I was 7 I thought that homebrew meant physically and
permanently
modding the console, cause I was dumb

Reactions: godreborn

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is great I saw the news earlier, Its always nice to have multiple exploits in the back pocket for when ever they are needed.
I heard Maschell was working on a new Homebrew Environment but I didn't know it was called Aroma? sounds good. :)

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, baby! Finally, a proper coldboot solution!

Can't to finally have a proper way to coldboot into CFW and have the beloved dark theme enabled by default with hacks!
That, and of course all the other perks of Mocha (or whichever CFW comes from this) and IOSU permissions right from coldboot :D

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself