Russian Lawmaker: We Will Arrest Gay Athletes/Tourists At Olympics

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Gahars, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Russia, the land of infinite vodka and infinite sadness, is hosting the next Olympic games in 2014. Russia also has a checkered past when it comes to gay rights, and recently enacted a law that... well, as Yakov Smirnoff might say:

"In America, you can talk about the gay people in public. In Post-Soviet Russia, such an action is considered to be "proliferating propaganda" and is punishable by arrest and imprisonment!"

...Man, did his material go downhill or what?

Anyway, with so many foreign athletes of various persuasions attending the event, this could be something of a problem. While some in Russia have tried to assure foreign athletes that the law will not be applied to them, others vocally disagree.

:arrow: GayStarNews

In the words of Pierce Hawthorne...

In this day and age, laws like this are a real shame; it's even worse because they're only hurting themselves. If Russia was more gay friendly, maybe someone could have told the Kremlin that iron is a terrible style of curtain.

Unfortunately, it seems that the Russian Winter Olympics are more Russian Winter than we may have hoped.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I suspect that Russia isn't going to keep their Winter Olympics for long.

Wizerzak likes this.
  3. Pokey
    This message by Pokey has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Jul 31, 2013.
    Jul 31, 2013
  4. Pokey
    This message by Pokey has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Jul 31, 2013.
    Jul 31, 2013
  5. Pokey
    Jul 31, 2013
  6. Gahars
    This message by Gahars has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Jul 31, 2013, Reason: response to shit.
    Jul 31, 2013
  7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I am pretty sure the other countries will be thrilled when their people start getting arrested in Russia over nothing.

EZ-Megaman and DinohScene like this.
  8. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    Why did anyone even think it'd be a good idea for Russia to be considered an Olympic Host in the first place?

9. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
    Because Russia has lots of snow.

Maxternal likes this.
  10. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Jan 6, 2011
    Canada,New Jersey
    Oh I get it now. First russia arrests Micheal Phelps, then america kicks in wanting him back, and then WW3 happens.
    Cool.

Slamicite likes this.
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Though I like many things about Russia I guess it is going to be props to any country that boycotts this.

12. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
  13. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    The US and other countries can just boycott the Olympics, it's been done before.

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    At the end of the day, this is a Russian law catering to the Russian society - 80%+ of the population opposes gay/lesbian relationships and the law reflects that, this is literally Democracy in action (the fact that using "Democracy" and "Russia" in one sentence is pretty debatable being besides the point).

Now, mind you, this is in no way against homosexual relationships themselves, it's against so-called "gay propaganda" aka "love parades" and so-on and so-forth which just aren't welcome in traditional, conservative societies.

Don't get me wrong, it's a super-outdated, backwards way of thinking but it's okay with Russians whom it concerns.

15. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Except it goes beyond that - as the article mentions, foreign tourists have been arrested for just talking about the subject of gay rights in public. The fact that mere conversations and discussions can be used as an excuse to imprison someone (in this case, foreign athletes for the Olympics) is the pressing issue.

16. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    And Russia will hold the World Cup in 2018 followed by Qater in 2022.

Not a great time to be gay sports fan.

BortzANATOR likes this.
  17. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    As Gahars mentioned, this extends to people just talking about gay rights, including foreign tourists. Russia also spent this year banning foreign gay couples from adopting Russian children, baiting and then subsequently beating and/or harassing gay teens, etc.

18. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Good for them, the United States could learn a thing or two ;)

19. Sop
    This message by Sop has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jul 31, 2013, Reason: Troll begone! ~Dep.
    Jul 31, 2013
  20. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

I think the US has some bigger things to worry about than trying to undo decades of liberal movements.

UltraHurricane likes this.
  21. RedCoreZero

RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

Banned
    Nov 12, 2012
    United States
    Lived in Florida
    Lesson learned.

22. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    So the law is just against discussing gayness in public?

Sounds easy enough to me just to not talk about it. I mean, when in Rome, do as the Romans do, right?

It doesn't seem likely that they can arrest you just because of your preferences, especially if you don't act upon them ... and then there's always plenty of time when you're NOT in "public".

Like if I were invited to participate in the Olympic games but the only catch is it's being held somewhere extrem(-ist)ely conservative like the old Afghanistan and they happen to have just passed this law that even mentioning sex or anything related in public is punishable by death. I think I could keep my mouth shut for the few hours each day that I was actually in public because ... well ... I'd be participating in the freaking Olympics!

... but I do know some people are unavoidably more vocal than I am. :P

RedCoreZero likes this.
  23. EzekielRage

EzekielRage Hero of the Void

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    Bring the Olympics to Austria. We already had them in 76 in my hometown, we have a great landscape, great food and great people and best of all we dont arrest anyone for living his life. In fact we encourage people to live the way they want. Also we could really use the publicity :P

Depravo likes this.
  24. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Well i mean Russia isnt really the most socially advanced place. And besides this is against people who "promote" homosexuality. Its not really a "gay witch hunt" or anything.

Also ive kinda just been waiting for a good Russian thread to use this.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  25. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh, I was not dismissing that, by no means! As I said, it is a backwards way of thinking, but it is the Russian way of thinking if I may have the liberty of putting it that way so it's hard to blame an anti-gay society for being, well, anti-gay.

It's a shame that it causes a very real danger of imprisonment to tourists and athletes alike and naturally it puts Russia in a very bad light, I was merely saying that it's a conservative society and such attitudes were to be expected. If there's anyone at fault then it's whatever jury has picked the country to host the Olympics without checking their law.