Russia gives the Sims 4 an "Adults Only" rating

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, May 10, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

After much argument and dis-Putin, the Russia ratings board has designated the Sims 4 to be an "Adults Only" title, completely prohibited for sale to those under 18.

Why? What's so saucy about the Sims? Is it the door-deleting, house-burning gameplay? The vulgar Simlish? Well, actually....

:arrow:Arstechnica

"Remember, no homo."

So, yeah, it's Russia being Russia yet again. I never would've guessed that we'd have the Sims, of all things, rated alongside titles like Grand Theft Auto but, hey, there ya go.

Now, let's have a calm, pleasant discussion in 3... 2... 1...

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Appropriate. Nobody should play The Sims 4*.

*With the rare exception of trained professionals who do it for comedy streams, god bless those brave souls who subject themselves to a game that has no "game" in it.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

shakirmoledina and Ericthegreat like this.
  3. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Jan 6, 2011
    Canada,New Jersey
    Doesn't matter really. Nobody cares about age ratings in easturn europe.

DunnoBro, octopus and Metoroid0 like this.
  4. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Eh. When I saw the title I already knew this would be the reason.

5. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Piracy will circumvent this problem.

Lacius likes this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't really see this as a "problem" to begin with - Russia has a conservative stance on same-sex relationships so they rated the game appropriately in regards to their own law. For all intents and purposes, they're actually lenient here since they could've demanded that same-sex relationships are to be removed from the game altogether or else it won't be released at all. Australia and Germany ban ultraviolent games because they go against their social rulesboard, this is the exact same case.

7. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    man fuck the rest of the world that's not America, am i right

king_leo, DunnoBro and xxNathanxx like this.
  8. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Всё равно это ни на что не повлияет. Meh.

9. Super.Nova

Super.Nova GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Under Government Suppression
    I'd still give it "Sadists Only" if it was up to me :P

Ammako likes this.
  10. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Why is this important again? People are upset their elders won't let them play an adult-only game because they're teenagers? Then again, most older people don't care about what their young people play. At least you have to show a picture ID showing you're over 18 if you want to get into a brothel or a XXX store. Of course, you could always lie by making a fake ID, but that's not acceptable behaviour in most societies. Listen to me, moralizing on a *cough cough* pirates' site.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Faking ID's is not "unacceptable behaviour in most societies", it's illegal, it's a felony. Forgery is punishable by imprisonment. Prostitution isn't legal either in most civilized countries either, both on the provider's and the client's side of things. Your suggestions are literally more illegal than just downloading the game. That, and GBATemp is not a "pirates' site", we haven't dealt with pirated content since the GBA days.

Skelletonike likes this.
  12. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Not necessarily. For example, in Australia importing a banned game is no different than importing a machine gun or explosives and is quite a bit more illegal than forging an ID. There are different kinds of felonies (or equivalent) and some are worse than others. In fact, in some places possession of that game by any means is punishable by death.

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You misunderstood what I actually said. What I said is that forgery is considered a felony and a criminal offense, so is prostitution often times, wheras illegally downloading copyrighted content for personal use (not distribution) is most often considered petty crime or a minor offense. You will get into infinitely trouble more commiting the first two in comparison to the latter. That, and you missed the "civilized countries" part of my post - in a civilized country you will not get the death penalty for owning a video game, no matter what that game might be.

As far as Australia is concerned, importing banned goods is not an offense as severe as forgery of officially issued documentation. In the case of video games it ends with seizing the item in question and in the event that the item poses some sort of danger or breaks the Australian law then there might be prosecution involved. This is not the case with video games, so it would probably end with seizing the item, destroying it and dropping the charges.

14. Magnus87

Magnus87 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 28, 2013
    Argentina
    Mabybe with new rating. It could be include more things than "teen stuff" :P

15. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Well, I could see kids if very young kids (too young to be playing the Sims anyway), played they could get the wrong ideas about how sex is usually performed.

16. bluejon

bluejon Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2012
    United States
    Wow...these laws are just getting so much better...why should a persons orientation determine a damn rating of "Adults Only" like if there isn't gay teens over there or even kids...people need to develop some brain cells...

17. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    If only this were what Russians had to be worried about.

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Children don't have a "sexual orientation" - interest in matters of sexuality develops through the process of puberty. For all intents and purposes, a child doesn't have a sexuality to speak of. Sexual orientation does have some biological roots, this much is correct, but it does not surface earlier than puberty.

Again, Russia is a conservative country. Along the rules of behaviourism they believe that "promoting" homosexuality leads to crippling the developing sexuality of minors and as such they consider it inappropriate material... and by "promoting" they understand "featuring in any shape or form". Whether we like it or not, that's their law and they feel comfortable with it.

Skelletonike likes this.
  19. bluejon

bluejon Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2012
    United States
    I disagree with your first comment because I know a couple of kids that are not attracted to the opposite sex

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    No kid is attracted to the opposite or otherwise because they don't have sexual attraction at all - arousal requires hormones that stimulate libido, they are not present in the body in sufficient quantity to trigger it during childhood because the glands that produce them have not matured yet. A child needs to reach sexual maturity to even understand the concept. You can disagree with me, but this is biology - you're arguing against scientific fact.