Russia blocks access to Nintendo Network... in an attempt to ban Telegram

upload_2018-4-17_17-21-43.png

Russian telecommunications regulator Roskomnadzor has received and complied to a court order to blacklist Telegram in the country. It did so by blocking millions of addresses, impacting plenty of unrelated services, including Nintendo Network. All three platforms using it (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, and Nintendo Switch) are now unable to access online play, and are getting error messages when attempting to. Impact varies by internet provider, since they all have blocked different addresses. According to players, Splatoon 2 is the most affected game as a result of this ban.

Nintendo has acknowledged the problem on Russian social media site VK, but has no information to share as of now. Hopefully, Russian players will be able to play online again soon.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Chary,

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
this is literally the best thing that could happen to online gaming. the cancer of online gaming riddening itself! awesome!
[Insert 'can't tell if sarcastic or serious' meme here]

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i dont think the russians would block it because of piracy. The russian gonvernment was paying people to seed torrents of american content. Look at the direct connect network. Most of the hubs with over 1 PB of data are Russian hubs.
You will have to use a vpn probably.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i dont think the russians would block it because of piracy. The russian gonvernment was paying people to seed torrents of american content. Look at the direct connect network. Most of the hubs with over 1 PB of data are Russian hubs.
You will have to use a vpn probably.
Russia is the Piracy capital of the world.

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Pirate torrent trackers are prohibited in Russia & most popular are already blocked in a same way as Telegram so you can access them only by VPN. To name a few, ru*censored*er is registered in Panama, nn*censored*ub in China & ru*censored*or in Sweden etc. But end-users still aren't punished for downloading neither paid for it :)

Last edited by oji,

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pirate torrent trackers are prohibited in Russia & most popular are already blocked in a same way as Telegram so you can access them only by VPN. To name a few, [redacted] is registered in Panama, [redacted] in China & [redacted] in Sweden etc. But end-users still aren't punished for downloading neither paid for it :)
Please remove piracy sites from your post.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Russia is just a bit more open about their attempts to track everything. We're in the same state here in the USA, it's just a little more "nahhhh, we ain't doin that". Usually in the USA, we try and force companies to give the FBI a key or backdoor or just strong-arm encryption...because reasons. Sad stuff, at any rate.

Reactions: SirNapkin1334

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I didn't post any links, just a bunch of names which were on a first page of a 'russian torrent trackers' Google request, not a secret knowledge.
You still shouldn't post site names. There's a reason we say stuff like That ISO Site.

Reactions: SirNapkin1334

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You got to be under 25 to not know what a telegram is!!!!
Live long enough and you will learn to ignore fad chat protocols and dismiss them accordingly. Like I think I am right now witnessing the start of Discord's demise as their dev/mod team seems to have caught a nasty case of the poor bans so give it a year or so...

Maybe one day we will have a proper open source (preferably client and protocol but protocol is enough), user made server option again. That said I am not sure quite how the world regressed to the current awful state it is in.

Reactions: SomeGamer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name in chat :ninja: