Running Wii through WDTV

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Kanojo, Sep 26, 2011.

Sep 26, 2011

Running Wii through WDTV by Kanojo at 4:47 AM (833 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Kanojo
    OP

Newcomer Kanojo Newbie

United States
    My current setup is a little rigid in how I can connect my devices. My computer monitor obviously only has an hdmi input and no RCA inputs and my speakers only have an optical input. I am planning on buying a WDTV Live Hub but before I spend the money I was wondering if anyone here who owns one can confirm that I can plug the wii composite cable into the hub and output video using hdmi and audio with the fiber optic cable. Thanks for the help.

2. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    well from looking at the spec's on the box. you cant run the wii to the box an use it(like a cable box). you'll still have to have the wii running to the tv. plus why trash the money.
    the wii can do the same as this thing. Check this site out, it's worth the money, i paid for the whole install, an can watch live tv(streaming) or Hulu,netflix(of course). this thing/program. uses you computer,an streams to wii over the wi-fi. i'm surprised it hasn't caught on,or if it has why isn't there a thread/topic on it.
    http://www.playon.tv/index.php

3. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Well, HDMI port is rather easy to get on the Wii, just grab a HDMIKey. Thats probably the best choice if you want HDMI on the Wii.

Thinking of getting one myself to make it easier to plug the Wii into various TV/monitors. Im just unsure how well it does its upscaling.

4. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The WDTV, only has output.(like newer cable box), this device. is used to stream/use web..like my HTPC,i use (don't have cable). the wii will still have to be plugged to back of tv(bypassing this box).
    the only way to use the WDTV with the wii,is streaming(wiimc).or if you use playon tv like i use.