Hacking Running installed WADs from SD card with IOS80

flashkraker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was installing a bunch of VC WADs last night and I quickly realised that the Wii has very little internal memory for installs. I think I just wasnt thinking about it when I was installing.

I have been reading about people installing a patched IOS80 and then being able to run WADs directly from their SD card.

So I have a few questions.

If I install a patched IOS80, can I install VC WADs to an SD card? Should I be able to install them on the same SD card I have BootMii installed on? Should I use a different SD card for my VC WADs? Do I in fact have to reinstall SM 4.3U after installed the patched IOS80?....I see some people saying yes and some people saying no.

Any answers to these questions would be appreciated. Sorry for the newb questions....hope I dont get flamed too bad for this.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
A patched SM IOS is all that is required, no need to reinstall the system menu itself

You can use the same sd card u are using for bootmii

u could also install your content to an emulated nand and access it via neek, mighty channels, some usb-loaders, etc. This means your emulated nand's "free blocks" will only be limited by the free space on your sd card or usb hard drive.

I encourage you to actually purchase your WiiWare titles from the shopping channel, u can still back them up to your sd card. And if u legitimately purchase them u don't even need a patched system menu IOS.

flashkraker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the response.

I guess I could go the emulated NAND route. If I do that does my external HDD need to be FAT32 or NTFS? Its currently completely formatted as WFSB. I wonder if I could leave my external HDD plugged in and use a USB key in the other USB port.

Does that sound plausible?

flashkraker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have thought about moving everything off the HDD and reformatting it as FAT32 and the moving everything back on to it. I find it really annoying not being able to access it via Windows or MacOS.

Ill research the emulated NAND route.

Thanks

flashkraker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used ModMii to SM my Wii. I guess I didnt realize it would help with the emulated NAND also.

Thanks for the tip on the WFSB>FAT32 utility. That will be great!

flashkraker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that went extremely smooth. I love that there are 48 backups and theyre only using 109GB of data. Thats about 100gb savings in disk space caluclating the average 4gb iso.

flashkraker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So WiiFlow is a pain and wont see any games on my HDD. Thats fine....

Mighty Channels I finally got working. I had to stick Mighty Channels on the external HDD for it to work though. When it was on the SD and I chose USB NAND it did not work. With it on the HDD it loads right up.

Now to install a forwarder and all should be good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1