running homebrew apps from usb

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by snakepliskin2334, Apr 17, 2012.

1. snakepliskin2334
    OP

snakepliskin2334 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2012
    United States
    hello everyone i have a question and this might have been answered already but there are so many post anyways i was wondering insted of using a sd card to run homebrew apps can you run them from a usb hard drive ? thanks again and i would like to no the steps if possible if someone can help i would really be grateful for it

2. Wiimpathy

Wiimpathy GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    Hi, yes, you can copy your favorite app to your usb drive, for example JzintvWii to usb:/apps/JzintvWii folder (probably not your fav homebrew). Some homebrews may have problems installed on usb but most will work.
    This was answered at least a million times but I like Carpenter especially They live, a movie describing our decerebrated and servile modern era in which We live...

3. Drud1995

Drud1995 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    United States
    Magicant
    I tend to have problems loading homebrew apps from a Flashdrive. Your best solution is an SD card. They are pretty cheap with a 2 Gigabyte costing around 10 dollars.

Now, if you plan on using a Flashdrive as a wii game USB loader, your best solution is an 100 gigabyte external harddrive or larger. With 100 gigabytes, you can store around 23 wii games.

Hope I was of Assistance!

4. ddetkowski

ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    United States
    simply put your HB apps in SD/apps/app name folder then fire up HBC, select "1" on wiimote, and choose load HB from USB. Done. Layman's terms......

5. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    I noticed that a lot of emulators have problems when they are started from usb.
    They can't seem to access the usb drive themself to load their config file and roms.
    scummvm and vba-gx are 2 examples of emulators having problems with that.
    Reloading the ios in the emulator fixes the issue, but it requires to recompile the program.