Running Gamecube Homebrew on a Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by pimpyT, Nov 23, 2007.

Nov 23, 2007
  1. pimpyT
    OP

Member pimpyT GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just got a Wii and was hoping to run some Gamecube Homebrew. To do this, do I need a modchip in the Wii?

I've heard of two methods: Gecko Adapter or Action Replay MX. I've heard pros and cons of each. Your opinion?

Mostly looking to run some old roms that aren't available on VC. I'll assume if I am able to get this going, I would be using the Gamecube controller, correct?

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Without a modchip, I think the firmware will do the difference.

First generation firmware (before 2.2 I think, not sure), you could swapp GC game with imported one.
    I don't know about running homebrew without a modchip though.

Since 3.0 the Wii cannot run action replay anymore, you need GCOS to boot it first.
    I'm not GC expert, I don't know if you can boot with memory card hack using SDGecko.

3. pimpyT
    OP

Member pimpyT GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Guess this isn't possible unless the Wii is modded? Anyone here even bother to run homebrew on the Wii through gamecube?

4. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I use mfe but hate wasting discs for single divx files, and it doesn't support multisession dvd's.

If I ever get off my ass, I might look into getting networking in gclinux and maybe get some sort of streaming in gc mode