ROM Hack Question Running BotW WiiU mods on Switch via LayeredFS?

purechaos996

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truth be told this might be a simple question with a simple answer by the forums are a mess right now with SX OS and people trying to run backups with LayeredFS that I'm finding it difficult to find information on actually using LayeredFS for running game mods. Both versions of BotW are similar enough that I imagine they have the same file structure and if that's the case, shouldnt it then be possible to use a Wii U mod on the Switch as long as the files are in the same format and placed in the correct directories?

Just looking for some clarification or even a write up if someone happens to have successfully done it already.

Reactions: ccprodigy

purechaos996

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no. you cant just copy/paste the files. you have to use the botw files from switch on the switch version.

Are the Wii U and Switch versions of the game that different? I'll admit to not being too familiar with the specific formats that each system uses but I would have just assumed that for the case of BotW the Switch and Wii U versions would be near identical in terms of the models, textures, and sound formats they use.

Sonicbrawler

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the Wii U and Switch versions of the game that different? I'll admit to not being too familiar with the specific formats that each system uses but I would have just assumed that for the case of BotW the Switch and Wii U versions would be near identical in terms of the models, textures, and sound formats they use.
yeah. the file format for the models and all that junk is different.

RetroGamer732

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve had no success with BOTW and LayeredFS, just did a file swap where I renamed some stuff, but the game just refuses to launch, It gets stick on the Switch boot screen

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only difference is a few different textures for menus and HUD to fit wiiu

supermariorick

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Realistically we're going to need an on-console romfs explorer and individual game file dumper if we want to get most LayeredFS mods to happen. I like how SciresM released LayeredFS without a practical and simple way to dump game files directly on the console lmao

Reactions: YoshiOG1

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This hasn't been seen in forever but I'm going insane here.

I got Breath of the Wild Mods working.
Trying to make my own mods for Breath of the Wild (And for some reason I cannot make my own "Ask") and I don't have those dump files with romfs folder that has contents and models and a bunch of bfres files. That's fine.
Problem is... How do I dump my Breath of the Wild for Switch so I can have those files??? All I want to do is make Link's hair black... Like.. Geez. How have people been doing this? (And I understand the rules of not sharing Breath of the Wild Dumped files.) And pointers?

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So are you saying I MUST make the mod for the Wii U version THEN convert it and not just skip to the Switch verison since dumping it like that is impossible? Or is that relevant only to the people that already have Wii U mods and want to convert?

I don't have a modded Wii U, so does this mean I am lucked out on making such a simple Mod?

EDIT: Will just make a forum post.

Last edited by Grmmish,

jonyluke

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So are you saying I MUST make the mod for the Wii U version THEN convert it and not just skip to the Switch verison since dumping it like that is impossible? Or is that relevant only to the people that already have Wii U mods and want to convert?

I don't have a modded Wii U, so does this mean I am lucked out on making such a simple Mod?

EDIT: Will just make a forum post.
That tutorial is for porting mods to switch, but you can create your own directly to switch

Last edited by jonyluke,

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said. I want to make it DIRECTLY TO SWITCH. How? I know that is for Wii U. Just trying to make the point I DON'T want that. LOL

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I know about the tutorials there. But I cannot follow them if I have no files at all to mod in the first place. They are telling me to dump the Wii U game and convert those files to readable switch files. How can I just dump the switch game since I cannot dump Wii U.

jonyluke

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Again, I know about the tutorials there. But I cannot follow them if I have no files at all to mod in the first place. They are telling me to dump the Wii U game and convert those files to readable switch files. How can I just dump the switch game since I cannot dump Wii U.

No, the tutorial of porting mods is telling you how to dump switch game files, you don't have to dump wii u files

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think you should change the title, because you are asking other thing. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: