Running a Steam game with Steam or other DRM?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Taellon, Nov 28, 2011.

Nov 28, 2011
  1. Taellon
    OP

Member Taellon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    So a while ago I bought Splinter Cell Conviction from Steam and didn't know until recently it had the alway-online DRM since the warning was hidden in the fine-print. I don't have very stable internet and my ISP is the only ISP in the area so I have no options for getting better internet. So I was wondering if there was a way to play the game without Steam or the regular DRM so that it would actually be playable for me? I suppose another option is just to download a pirated copy and play it that way, I mean I did buy the game legitimately and Ubisoft's garbage DRM is preventing me from actually using it. I'd feel fully justified in that. But I'd like to see if there was a way to use my already downloaded copy in Steam so I didn't have to redownload the game again, what with my terrible ISP and the poor download rate I get(which is the best rate they offer).

So anybody know how to do this?

2. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    You don't need to download the full pirated game. Just download the crack and put it in the game folder.

3. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I believe, Splinter Cell and Assasin creed always on DRM was removed (by update) some time ago. I do not have either of these games. Maybe someone can chime in.

4. Taellon
    OP

Member Taellon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    So just putting the crack in the folder it will load fine and it won't get me in trouble with Steam? I know I will launch it without steam but just making sure Steam won't detect it and get me in trouble for it.

And if the DRM was removed, I would expect their store-page in steam wouldn't have the DRM warning in it's fine-print still, I hope I'm wrong but I've learned to expect the worst with Ubisoft these days, and Conviction is a fairly recent title.