Rune Factory 4 Special is getting a limited "Archival Edition"

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 9, 2019.

Front-page
    rf4s.

XSEED is offering a special limited edition version of Rune Factory 4: Special, for the Nintendo Switch. Referred to as the "Archival Edition", this version of the game will come with a physical box and cartridge, a collector's box, a 160-page artbook, a soundtrack CD, and a bonus swimsuit DLC pack. The Archival Edition will be available to purchase on both XSEED's offical site, or through certain western retailers. Those in Europe will also get a chance to purchase the limited edition, though they can only do so via Marvelous' online store. Rune Factory 4 Special will launch both digitally and physically in the west this winter, for $39.99, while the Archival Edition will sell for $59.99.

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Press Inbox

Vorde, DarthDub, Reynardine and 4 others like this.
    Discussion (27 replies)
  1. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    never hear about this but it looks cool

2. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    nice to see a reasonably priced SE cost just as much as 1st party games

Ericthegreat likes this.
  3. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    I'd rather they just gave us RF5 already instead of re-releasing a 7 year old game for a pretty high price to boot...

Redhorse likes this.
  4. Draxikor

Draxikor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    Mexico
    It has some extras or is just a port?

5. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    Where do you think the money to fund RF5 comes from?

Pluupy and Briyoda like this.
  6. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    From the 300000+ sales of RN4 perhaps:P That's the most idiotic arguement I've seen all day (second is pretty close to yours though), you think a large company like Marvelous can't afford to fund a game sequel after 7 years when they've had well above good sales on most their games in the past half decade (tons of Fate games, God Eater games, even Skullgirls)? They have money, this is just for the sake of greed. Normally such old games should be at ~20€ like the Nintendo Selects, not double that and then having an even more expensive version on top...

kumikochan and Redhorse like this.
  7. ChaosBoi

ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

Feb 19, 2007
    United States
    California
    It's an enhanced port. I don't know all the specifics off the top of my head, but it's basically an HD remaster, has a new difficulty mode and I think more movie cutscenes, and the save file can be linked with RF5 for a bonus. I also heard something about a newlywed mode, but I couldn't dig up any info on what that is.

Pluupy and Draxikor like this.
  8. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    You two DO realize the changes to the base version are right there in the OP if you expand the quote, right?:rofl2:

9. DSSP

DSSP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2019
    United States
    Missouri
    Is this game anything like Stardew Valley?

10. Rioluwott

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2014
    Mexico
    from what i heard about Stradew Valley its pretty similar to Rune Factory(some people who have played both even say that RF is better in a lot of aspects) in my opinion is a really good game give it a try, the 3ds version had a lot of playtime and since this one will have more content i think you will play it for a lot of time

DSSP likes this.
  11. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Yes*

*If you like the farming of Stardew then yes. But there is a huge emphasis on the fantasy element. So I like to think about it like if Final Fantasy and Harvest Moon had a baby, this is what we would get.

DSSP likes this.
  12. DSSP

DSSP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2019
    United States
    Missouri
    Thank you, I guess I'll be trying it then.

13. mangaTom

mangaTom GBAtemp Fan

Jun 3, 2010
    Philippines
    Your Nearest Bathroom
    Can I marry Ventuswill this time around? It still hurts after playing for hours that the "main heroine" is not a marriageable option. Sorry just a weeb ranting around.

14. bluedart

bluedart GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    シンコン モード (Newlywed Mode) is available from the start, for people wondering. That and Another Story are the only real new modes, the rest is pretty verbatim. (Source: 95% playthrough that took around 120 hours.) You have to actually marry a character to unlock their newlywed mode, or spend 50,000 Prince/Princess Points on a married file to unlock them all in the menu, so marrying everyone is not necessary.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Another Story was free DLC in Japan that just adds a short visual novel with one of 13 characters that is 100% voiced and takes about 5 minutes to watch.

Hope that helps.

15. Rioluwott

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2014
    Mexico
    I guess there is little new content for people who already played the 3ds version, i will search for the visual novel later to see it as a video, since i already finished the game 3 times it seems a little pointless to play this version(mainly because i have no switch), i hope people play this and get new people into the series and i will wait for rune factory 5

16. bluedart

bluedart GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Sadly you cannot marry Ventuswill in this one. Her 'Another Story' may touch on this concept in some fashion though. Also her name is something hilarious when taken out of context in Japanese like セルザウィード which sounds like 'sells za weed'.

Also, I just found out that you do not actually need to lose 50,000 Points to unlock Newlywed Mode globally; you just need to unlock it once, save to some file and then it's permanently unlocked even if you overwrite the file. Neat.

Pretty much. No need to play it a fourth time like I did. 'YouTube'ing the content is probably a good choice. This game is so great on the big-screen though and even looks amazing in handheld. It visually appears like they used whatever 'AI up-scaling shenanigans' that FF9 Moguri uses, and it mostly works, with things occasionally just looking a little 'painterly' from time to time. I tried to play the 3DS version a bit ago and it's actually hard to make out now. >.<

17. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    Rune Factory 4 is 40$ new on 3DS. This game add in more content and upgrade the graphic yet the price is the same while Nintendo try to sell a game from 16 years ago for 60$.

Pluupy likes this.
  18. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    The fact that after 7 years they STILL haven't lowered the price just goes to show the greed honestly. Most games have price drops after 2-3 or so years, even if really successful, so my point stands, it IS expensive, just because other companies have sometimes done more expensive re-releases doesn't change that.

19. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    Why the fuck do they need to low the price? Did they low the price of bread because the use the same recipe from hundred of years ago? Do you want to low the price of your work just because you had do it before? The company doesn't own you anything for remake their game, why would they low the price for you?

Pluupy likes this.