Hacking Run Gamecube backups from USB Gecko or SD Gecko?

hankarlo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,
Is it possible to run gamecube backups from either a USB Gecko or SD Gecko on my Gamecube? If not, whats needed to get them to run? Or is it possible to run them on Wii? Ive read on another forum that I need an original Action Replay disc for it to work on Gamecube but then I read I need a program called usb-boot. I'd really appreciate if any off you guys can give some solid info regarding the above. Thanx for reading.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
USB-Boot allows you to play backups via usb gecko and a connected PC. SD-Boot allows to play them from sd card. And Swiss is the successor of SD-Boot, and loads the backups from sd card or DVD-Rs(only on gamecubes). Running Swiss on a Wii is easier in my eyes than running it on a gamecube, but it's written and tested only for actual gamecubes. To run it on a Wii, google "Wii Swiss Booter", and install the required cMIOS.

But on how to run it on a gamecube, i don't know, i guess using an original Action Replay disc is only one way and there are others.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Do you know if there are any plans to adapt Swiss to work on a USB Gecko? I imagine it would be just as slow as using USB-Boot since you still wouldn't have USB2.0, but it is interesting.

It was planned, but emu_kidid didn't have time yet to implement it. And since it would still require a PC and as slow or slower than reading from sd card, i don't really care anyways.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Do you know if there are any plans to adapt Swiss to work on a USB Gecko? I imagine it would be just as slow as using USB-Boot since you still wouldn't have USB2.0, but it is interesting.

It was planned, but emu_kidid didn't have time yet to implement it. And since it would still require a PC and as slow or slower than reading from sd card, i don't really care anyways.
Why would it require a PC? I don't know how Swiss works, so forgive my ignorance on the matter.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It would require a PC because USB Gecko isn't a USB host device, it's a slave device. You need a host device to be connected to it to make use of it i.e. a PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some...