Run all systems?

Discussion in 'GBA - Emulation' started by bluebowser31, May 2, 2010.

May 2, 2010

Run all systems? by bluebowser31 at 3:57 PM (1,810 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. bluebowser31
    OP

Member bluebowser31 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well i dont realy know how to word this question, but is there a GBA cart that you can put roms on, that can play GBC, GBA, and GB games WITHOUT an emulator, such as when you put it in an advance (which can play all 3) and then stick it in the DS and still have it run GBA games on there?
    (told you IDK how to word that)

so for example when i put it in my gba, it could run pkm yellow, or pkm crystal, or pkm emerald, without using an emulator
    then when i put it in my ds, i want it to still play gba games (wow i just said same thing twice)

thanks in advance

Please read last post. Oh and, what everyone is saying is basicaly it doesnt exist [​IMG]
    still trying tho

2. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    i know what mean but the answer is no

for gb/c just use a emulator (i use lameboy)

for gba use a slot2 card (ez flash 3in1 is recommended but since u said pokemon you will what one with rtc which are so hard to find)

but you could wait for the dstwo to come out which will play ds, gba, gbc and gb but is slot 1 and will emulate gba and gb/c

3. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    he was talking about a "Slot 2 Cart", or Flash-Kits/Devkits/Flash-linkers as they were once known.

@OP, yeah, you'll be able to run GBA games, but the DS doesn't natively support GB/GBC games like the GBA did, so you'll have to use an emulator.

4. mad567

Member mad567 D. Gregar

Greece
    I suggest a supercard mini SD i use this for my gba and also can be used on ds and ds lite [​IMG]

5. bluebowser31
    OP

United States
    No i dont mean play GBC/GB games on the DS, i mean on the SP, but still be able to play GBA games on the ds.

6. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    no

because they never made gb/c flashcards

7. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Ignorant fool, shut up and learn. Slot 2 flashcarts CAN run GB/C games. And IIRC the SuperCard miniSD supports Drag 'n Drop for those. But you'd be happy if you can still find a legit one.

8. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Actually they did make GB/C flashcarts. -> PH Wiki - Category: Gameboy (Bung, E-Merger etc.)
    The flashcart that would perfectly fit your needs would be a F2A with a GB Bridge, but they are very hard to get these days.

9. bluebowser31
    OP

United States
    Thank you for all of this info, and im sorry i wasnt clear enough (mainly cus i dont know how to say it)

Is it possible to get a GBA "game", that i can put a microsd into.
    Then if i got a GBC game on there, could it be played in my GBA, which can normaly play GB, GBC, and GBA.

So sense it can normaly play all 3, cant i a GBA game(thing) that can play all 3 no emulator?

(and sorry if uve answered this, but everyone is saying everyone else i wrong [​IMG])

@ above: that seems like what im looking for, but i doubt ill be able to find one... and why is it so big, if the GBA has all the needed hardware?

Oh man, the GB Bridge is closest anyone has showed me, but it cant also run GBA games [​IMG]

10. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Ok, here's why you need an emulator to run GBC games on a GBA flashcart. The GBA contains the GBC hardware BUT GBA flashcarts do not access this, they access the GBA hardware. There is a small switch in the cartridge slot which switches the GBA between the 2 modes (as the carts require different voltages as well as different CPUs) You can tell this is the case by comparing a GBA cart and a GB/C cart. There is an indent on the bottom of a GBA cart which isn't there on the GBC cart, thereby allowing the hardware switch.

Also, the above poster linked you to what is basically a GBA-GBC flashcart adapter. You plug your GBA-flashadvance card into it and the GBC software on the adapter can access the memory on it. Just buying that adapter will not be what you want. I think that GBC emulators for the GBA were pretty advanced so you'll be fine with just a GBA flashcart

11. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    The M3 GBA Expansion Pack is basically a 3in1 with a real-time-clock (but no rumble). It works perfectly with ExpLoader, and is the same price (in some cases cheaper) than the 3in1.

12. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    RTFT He's talking about a Gameboy Advance. ffs.

13. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    Read my f***ing post; I was replying to one post, and one post only. Nathan King talked about the 3in1, and rtc being "hard to find" with respect to that.

For the OP, there's no truly good solution for running GB/C and GBA games on a single cart, on a GBA unit. The best solution is to use two flashcarts; a regular GBA one, and then something like one of these GB Smart Cards:

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/copiers/copiers.htm

It would be awesome if someone were to design an SD-based GB/C/A flashcart, though... with the necessary switching hardware built-in, maybe via some kind of physical switch on the cart itself. I wouldn't mind paying a decent sum for that... there've been NES and SNES flashcarts that use compact flash, after all... and they're super expensive, but still available. I wonder why anyone hasn't bothered with a Game Boy equivalent.

14. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Wouldn't Goomba and Goomba Color work though?

15. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    He (the OP) wants to be cheap about how he goes about playing GB/C games. He doesn't understand that there is a hardware and voltage difference between the gba and gb/c carts. And the only way to play without an emulator is with hardware adapters and some really OLD flashcarts that are not made anymore.

The only way your gonna play gb/c games now on any currently available gba flashcart is through an emulator. Your other choice is to get a gb/c flashcart like the ones previously mentioned and play on a real gameboy or gameboy color.