RUMOUR: Wii U Less Powerful Than PS3/Xbox 360

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
This rumour is obviously false. Leaked specs of the Wii-U suggest that it will be much more powerful than current gen consoles. Much much better cpu(Power7, rumoured 4 cores-16 threads 4+ Ghz), vastly better gpu(custom r700 design), and probably at least 1gb ram. These specs are trashing the PS3. If NIntendo adds more ram (4 gigs would be ideal but 2 is more likely) this machine will be more than enough. It may not be the best console of the next generation, but it will sure close the gab between it and the other consoles, making multiplatform games possible again on it. Just remember that both Microsoft and Sony intend to follow this strategy and make 300$ consoles and not 600$, so they will not be better by much...

PS: Why people underestimate the 3DS capabilities is beyond me. It is vastly better than the PSP in terms of power.Have a look at a game like Resident Evil Revelations. Seriously. And this game doesn't even tax the 3DS much. Nintendo even considers to unlock the second core of the system and update the 3ds capability to use less resources. Similarly to the Wii-U, the 3DS may not be as powerful as the Vita, but it surely closed the gap that existed between the original DS and PSP... I am sure that crossplatform games between the 3DS and the Vita will not have many differences like the last gen...

PS2: Despite popular belief, the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 and by some accounts matched the original XBOX. Why people believe otherwise is beyond me. Just have a look at RE4 in both consoles...

adamshinoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bullshit rumour is bullshit.
What do they mean "Nintendo's new console is not even equal to the current generation". Did they want to say Wii U is not even equal to Wii ??

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Dad works at Nintendo and he say Wiiu is as powerful as N64
My uncle's friends Mum's daughter works at Sega and she says that Sega are cancelling lots of games so they can release them on Dreamcast 2 which will be announced at E3 2013.

Reactions: 4 people

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Oh man, guys! An anonymous source has provided exclusive information to an obscure website, information that contradicts all more reputable information revealed so far!

Sounds uber-reliable! Time to post it on GBAtemp!

Oh, and by the way. The article claims it has less shaders than the 630. The 3DS has more shaders than the 360.

Reactions: 2 people

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
My second cousin twice removed knows a Nintendo employee's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate, which means absolutely nothing.

edit

Anyways, I don't know what's worse. The fanboys who simply say this is false without something to back it up, or the haters who simply say this is truth who also have nothing to back that up?

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It wouldn't really surprise me if it's true, especially with the tablet/controller and the need to keep the price affordable.

It wouldn't surprise me, and wouldn't scare me, Nintendo always (well.. maybe not for GC or N64) had "low power" systems, it's the know how of their developers and the quality of their games that makes the difference, and if the system as a balanced power and is easy to code, the developers will follow.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait till E3 so we can put these rumors to rest...only for it all to start up again for another year for the PS4 and the Nextbox.

But if this does turn out to be true, Nintendo really would be shooting themselves in the foot next gen.

This will be a fun 18 months.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GJ getting a rumor to the front page (i can bet that guild was the one to do that)

just for the hell of it i went to the main page and changed the 'portal options' to show up to 40 articles, neither in all news, popular nor gaming there was a rumor

I cant remember any other time that a rumor got to the main page.

again GJ!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: 1 person

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Having recently played on a Wii U myself I can confirm that yes, the graphics are pitiful even compared to early 360 and PS3 games.

Immediately after playing I started to vomit. The vomiting continued for 72 hours thereafter.

And I must admit that even the vomit was more graphically impressive than anything the Wii U was able to produce.

;O;

Reactions: 4 people

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
GJ getting a rumor to the front page (i can bet that guild was the one to do that)

just for the hell of it i went to the main page and changed the 'portal options' to show up to 40 articles, neither in all news, popular nor gaming there was a rumor

I cant remember any other time that a rumor got to the main page.

again GJ!
1W9ZP.gif

If all gaming news sites can make a news post out of this rumour, why can't GBAtemp?
People complain about not having enough stuff on the front page and they still complain!

Reactions: 1 person

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Having recently played on a Wii U myself I can confirm that yes, the graphics are pitiful even compared to early 360 and PS3 games.

Immediately after playing I started to vomit. The vomiting continued for 72 hours thereafter.

And I must admit that even the vomit was more graphically impressive than anything the Wii U was able to produce.

;O;

You lie! You originally said you continued vomiting for 73 hours.

silver_ryder

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Stay with the vomit to play is more cheaper. lol

Anyway an anonymous source told me that the PS4 will be more powerful than a rocket ship, and the Wiiu ill have a Mario, metroid, and zelda game's. :-)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Stay with the vomit to play is more cheaper. lol

Anyway an anonymous source told me that the PS4 will be more powerful than a rocket ship, and the Wiiu ill have a Mario, metroid, and zelda game's. :-)

Let's hope it doesn't pull a space shuttle Columbia. That would be bad.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure why Nintendo would put hardware more than 6 years old in their system, but who knows. That's the only way it'd be less powerful. Oh, and once again:
less shaders

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16