[Rumour] Project H.A.M.M.E.R Cancelled?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hadrian, Jun 14, 2007.

Jun 14, 2007
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    From IGN:
    Insiders close to development studio NST allege to IGN that the software company's Wii action title, tentatively titled Project H.A.M.M.E.R., has been terminated by publisher Nintendo. Sources further claim that the team formerly working on the title is now underway with one or more efforts that fall into the "expanded audience" lineup of games.

We placed calls to Nintendo of America for an official confirmation or denial, but the subsidiary did not get back to us in time for publish.

Project H.A.M.M.E.R. was debuted at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2006 in interactive form. The game starred players as a powerful half man and half machine fighter who, armed with a giant hammer, could obliterate any robot enemies in his path. Gamers gestured downward with the Wii remote in a simulated hammer smash to wield the weapon.

Project H.A.M.M.E.R. was last seen at E3 2006. The game's release date remains listed on Nintendo's official press site as "TBA," or to be announced.

Our sources were unable to provide a reason for the alleged termination. However, IGN Wii has heard separately that Nintendo is actively re-working some traditional games so that they are more accessible by casual players. If it is truly canned, Project H.A.M.M.E.R. may have become a casualty of Wii's newfound success in the mainstream market.

Readers are reminded that this rumor is currently unsubstantiated by official Nintendo sources. We'll keep you posted with any updates they become available.

If it is canceled then I don't think it is because of the casual audience, but maybe if they couldn't get the game to stay fresh for long enough or that the game wouldn't have been very good. Ok Mario Party 8 was pretty crap but that had Mario to sell it, PH was a new IP and had to depend on being very good to sell. Anyway just a rumour, lets see if it appears at the E3 thing.

2. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Not good news [​IMG]

3. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    the game looked like junk anyways... bad concept from the beginning.

4. Sil3n7

Member Sil3n7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It looked repetive... [​IMG]

5. gamermole

Banned gamermole Banned

United Kingdom
    well if this is due to the consoles success to new gamers i hope disaster day doesnt do the same [​IMG]

6. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom
    Ah yes, because you can tell if a game is going to be repetitive from a very short gameplay video [​IMG]

7. iTech

Member iTech GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I never liked that game. Especially since it was a new Nintendo IP - it absolutely did not seem to be of Nintendo quality from what I've seen.

The concept itself made me weak in the stomach. Just the thought of a videogame whose gimmick is the use of a hammer is the equivalent, for me atleast, as having to eat German Sausage I found in an alleyway behind a dumpster on my knees in a pool of my own vomit while a bald, gay mofo called "Björn" waving a broken beer bottle with his pants down calls me "Herr Sweetlips" while making rhytmic circular motions with his hips.

It seemed like a "whatever" title.
    Maybe reminiscent of Blast Corps or Body Harvest for the N64 - but with a lot more suck.

I was hoping cracks were starting to appear in Nintendo's flawless façade and was allready celebrating by waving an AK in the air and dancing around in circles with my bearded Shite friends, but they seem to have caught themselves creating something sucky in time. Damn.

8. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    God of War is repetitive as hell too but is still fun......maybe this game was too.....hopefully its not cancelled [​IMG]

9. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    hahaha amen to that [​IMG]

10. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Well from what we saw it looked kinda boring and repetitive. But then we saw so little of it anyway, perhaps that was just a one level training bit to ease you into the game.

If that would've been the whole game than its best being vaporware.

11. Sekkyumu

Member Sekkyumu GBAtemp Regular

France
    That's funny because I've been thinking about that game tonight. I don't know why but it popped up in my mind with the wonder when it's released.

12. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Man what the hell are you lot saying? Project H.A.M.M.E.R looked like a lot of fun! NST are a good developer and if it played half as well as say God of War it would have been a good game.

Oh well, if this gets cancelled maybe they can start work on a new Wave Race or 1080. [​IMG]

13. Fusion Master

Member Fusion Master WOW Addict :0

Australia
    One of the few new game series proposed from the company is canned. I hate how Nintendo constantly rely on Mario and Zelda to get their consoles over.